Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning online exercises > Online exercise not approved?    

Online exercise not approved?

karina7777
Denmark

Online exercise not approved?

Hi everybody,

not sure if I �m writing this in the right part of the forum, sorry if I �m not.
The thing is, I uploaded two new online exercises three days ago and was going to add them to my students � accounts now. However, one of them was labelled "exercise not approved of" and couldn �t be used.

They were both about Justin Bieber �s song "Boyfriend", but I called one of them "level 1" and the other one "level 2". The exercises about the song were different. My easy version was for my beginners (they just has to do multiple choice exercises about a few of the words) and my more difficult version (which was not approved) required a lot more work, contained questions about the music video and involved spelling practice.

I was actually quite happy with my new idea: To use the same song at two different levels.

I don �t care about the points at all; I just want to be able to use my level 2 version - which also took the longest time to make by far.

What can I do? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards, Karina

4 May 2012      

karina7777
Denmark

NB: I am aware that exercises have to be rated useful in order to be accepted. I am just worried that people saw the two oes about the same song, didn �t pay attention to the "level 1" and "level 2" labels and just reported the second one as a copy.
It definitely isn �t any poorer than all my other online exercises - and they were all approved of.

I sound pathetic - I �ll stop now. Confused Just really wanted to use that exercise myself and wonder if there �s anything I could do...

4 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Dear Karina: i had a look "behind the screen" but I can �t see your on line exercise as reported. Actually I have no idea who judges oes. I hope someone else can and will answer your question .Smile

4 May 2012     

tech_teacher
Bahamas

Approval depends on how many people found the online exercise useful for example:

If you make an online exercise, you �ll get points  according to other users � ratings:
- Average rating 5: you will get 10 points
- Average rating 6: you will get 20 points
- Average rating 7: you will get 30 points
- Average rating 8: you will get 50 points
- Average rating 9: you will get 100 points
- Average rating 10: you will get 150 points
- Average rating under 5: the contribution is not approved and will be removed.

See the following:

Hope this helps!

4 May 2012     

Anna P
Brazil

Everybody can - and should - rate the OEs, dear Mariethe.  We don �t lose points for checking them but very few people take the time to rate them. With a small number of "votes" sometimes the OE doesn �t get a fair "note".

On line exercises are the first ones we see when we open the new contributions.  If more people rated them it would be wonderful both for the OE creators and for the site.

In your case, Karina, I understand your frustration but I was one of the people who voted against accepting your 2 levels of the same exercise. If this kind of thing was accepted, we could all use our old OEs, take or add a few exercises and upload it again.  Or, we could all upload 2 levels of the same OE, one with fewer activities and the other with a little more - and englishexercises.com, filled with twin OEs, would lose its high quality.

Again, I understand your disappointment but maybe you could use similar activities, from the OE that was not accepted, and use them with a different song.

4 May 2012     

karina7777
Denmark

Thank you for your answers.

Anna P, I �m sorry to hear that. Especially when it comes to making online exercises about songs, I can really see the value of being able to use the same song in different ways.

I often try to use the songs the kids like at the moment - it has a great motivational effect. I teach three different levels this year and while they like the same songs (they are 10 - 13 years old) they are definitely not able to do the same kind of exercises.

In this case, I didn �t "take" or "add" any exercises - it was different exercises but the song was the same. In the "level 2 version", one of the exercises also was a "multiple choice insert-the -right-word exercise", but the words were different.

Actually, I am not sure it is possible to do what you are talking about? You can �t really copy an online exercise, change it a bit and then make a new one without starting from scratch, can you? Well, maybe it �s possible.

I guess there is nothing I can do. I really do not care about getting points at all, but I wish I was able to use my own online exercise. I also wish I could use the same song on different levels, but of course I don �t want to spend a lot of time making exercises if they won �t get approved of anyway.

I sound grumpy, sorry, am off to bed now...

4 May 2012     

karina7777
Denmark

Thank you, dear Mariethe and Anna P for your messages in my inbox.

I never saved my online exercises on my own computer - I wasn �t really aware that I could. I just uploaded and then waited until they were accesible on www.englishexercises.com. I will do that in the future because then of course I �d be able to make some changes and reupload with an explanation, if an OE is not approved of. Thanks, Anna P. Thumbs Up

I �m going to make a new Justin Bieber "Boyfriend" OE for my older pupils soon and I hope it makes it...

Thank you all for taking the time to answer this grumpy teacher - let �s all go out and enjoy the weekend now! ; )

Hugs from Denmark Hug

5 May 2012