Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help    

help

jarek2011
Poland

help

I need to pick your brains again. You have helped me lots of times so I think that also this time you will share your knowledge with me :)

I wonder what you call in English two things:

- a kind of meeting between a student and a teacher when they give a status update on student �s work (strong points, weaknesses, things to work at)

- a meeting between a teacher and a student �s parents and this time it also is a kind of status update on how well is their child doing in school.

Does English have its own names for these things?

6 May 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

I �d call the first a student conference, and the second a parent or parent-teacher conference. But I teach adults, so I don �t have to do too many of either.

6 May 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Jarek2011,

1) A Tutorial

2) A Parent �s Meeting

Les

6 May 2012     

Errie
Japan

Is it also possible to say � �an evaluation � � for nr 1?

6 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Evaluation would work. At least in the States, a tutorial is a meeting with a student to help the student with difficult material. There �s nothing wrong with Parent-Teacher meeting; jarek2011 asked for a different term.

6 May 2012     

colita
Costa Rica

In the first case is a student-teacher conference and the second parent �s meeting

6 May 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

thank all of you for your help! 

7 May 2012     

douglas
United States

1) student-teacher conference or a counseling session
2) parent-teacher conference

For me, using "meeting" seems to signify more of a gathering of many parents rather than a one-on-one with the parents. It doesn �t have to mean that, but it leaves that feeling.

7 May 2012