Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Transformation of sentence !    

Transformation of sentence !

Imdad
Bangladesh

Transformation of sentence !

"I wish i were a king." Turn it into Explanatory Sentence. Which one is correct? If I could be a king. Or, Would that I were a king. Please, show me the correct one.

6 May 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

I �m not sure what you �re asking, to be honest. But I �ll do my best. "I wish I were a king" is a complete sentence using the subjunctive mood. It isn �t true, but you want to be a king anyway. "If I could be a king" is a dependent clause, a fragment. It needs an independent clause before or after it to make it a complete sentence. For example, "If I could be a king, I would try to make life better for the people of my country." "Would that I were a king" is both conditional and subjunctive. No one speaks like that anymore.

6 May 2012     

Tere-arg
Argentina

"I wish I were a king"  = "If only I were a king"

6 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Dare I say it - that subjunctive is more or less defunct anyway. I wish I was a king.

7 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

True, cunliffe, the subjunctive is on life support, but "I wish I were..." is still hanging on. "Would that I were..." is as dead as a doornail.

7 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep...

7 May 2012