Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > tenses    

tenses

nhatminh0904
Vietnam

tenses

Please help me use the correct in th sente)nces: 1-When I last saw him, he..........in London.(live) 2-We......there when our father lived.(still live). 3-When I last saw him, he........in London.( still work) I WONDER BETWEEN SIPLE PAST AND PAST CONTINUOUS. 4-Peter .........in Manchester for 10 years,then he moved to London.(lived)_>past simple or past perfect? thanks in advance!

7 May 2012      

yanogator
United States

I disagree with ascincoquinas on #4. It should be the simple past, since it is talking about a sequence of events.

Also, #2 doesn �t make sense, as far as the end of the sentence "when our father lived". That isn �t correct usage.

Bruce

7 May 2012     

cristianeoccunha
Brazil

I agree with Bruce, #4 should be past simple and #2 doesn �t make sense. Maybe you mean ...when our father left. Then "were still living" would be fine as the answer
Cris

7 May 2012     

nhatminh0904
Vietnam

Thanks for your help but i still don �t understand the first sentense.please help me if ".....when our father was alive" we will use " still lived or were still living"? thanks a lot!

7 May 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

what about this?

When I last saw him, he was living in London.(live)
Note: shouldn �t be the first one like this: "The last time I saw him, he was still living in London????
2-We lived there, when our father  was still alive.(still live).
3-When I last saw him, he was living in London.( still work).
4-Peter lived in Manchester for 10 years,then he moved to London.

The best I can do.... sorry.

Best ask native speakers. I am rather puzzled as you are....Wacko

7 May 2012