Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Politeness in different cultures??    

Politeness in different cultures??

Anna P
Brazil

�  Usually Brazilians are very affectionate and demostrative.  Our personal space, the subjective area around each person, is usually smaller than in most countries. We tend to get very close to people, touch, hug... we greet people with 2 (in some states 3) kisses on the cheeks.

�  We offer a small cup of coffee (our caf�zinho, dark, sweet and strong)or fruit juice to visitors and receive guests in the same way Southern Americans do, as in MoodyMoody �s comment. 

�  Older people are respected (although not as much as in Asian and I believe African countries) and have rights such as discounts in cinemas, theatres, museums... reserved parking spaces, free bus tickets.  The few special homes for elderly people are very expensive so, if unable to live on their own, they usually move in with their sons or daughters.

�  Many families get together on Sundays. We also get in touch with our extended family (cousins, uncles, aunts...)very often.

� Teachers are addressed by their first name.

8 May 2012     

estefy_busso
Argentina

I really liked what Anna P wrote! Concise! Our culture here in Argentina is very similar as in Brazil! 

8 May 2012     

ananthajyothi
India

In India Teachers are well respected. There is a kabir das couplet which says that teacher(guru) is equivalent to God because Guru is the one who introduces you to great learning. Elders and guests are also greatly revered. A guest �s comfort should come ahead of your own. When you have a visitor you first offer water and then other refreshments. Visitors offer remove their footwear when they enter sacred places like temples, mosques etc. and even before they enter another household. India is a country of many languages. In all these elders are addressed in the plural as a mark of respect. Other respect markers are �Ji � and its equivalent in other languages. So instead of calling someone Kishore you would call him Kishoreji. Young people often fall at the feet of older people to show their respect and seek their blessings. But many of these traditions are disappearing and young people nowadays baulk at the idea of falling at the feet of elders.

Jyothi

8 May 2012     

veronika74
Hungary

Good day,

Courtesy/politeness can appear in speech and in action in Hungary. We use second person singular if we are in friendly terms with somebody, but we use third person singular if we are polite or official. Besides third person singular, we address the person with either ��n�/�Maga� (used for both genders) or �Uram�-Sir or �H�lgyem�-Madam� and you can add polite expressions such as �k�rem�=please or �Legyen sz�ves/Legyen kedves�=Would you be so heartful/kind �. If we are friends we can add �k�rlek� or �l�gy sz�ves or l�gysz� which is polite, but not official.

Courtesy can be shown towards women, elderly people, guests, relatives or unknown people.

In case of women it is polite to open the door of the car when she gets in or out or to help her with putting on her coats or to let her enter a building before you, but if you are in this establishment at the first time then men go first to protect women against any unexpected events. (This habit derives from old times. Of course, you don�t have to afraid of such things nowadays). Women have to walk on the right side of the men � the cause of it that men used to wear a sword on their left side in old times. Hand kissing is very rare nowadays. If you meet a friend or relative you can give him or her some kisses on his or her face. If you meet a person you are familiar with, you just greet him or her and you can ask how he or she is. You can add his or her Christian name to this question; in case of old people you have to add �n�ni�-aunt or �b�csi�-uncle as well.

If you invite somebody or somebody visits you at your home you have to treat him or her well with lots of delicious dishes (there are more courses and richer dishes in this case than an ordinary day), alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks and a cup of coffee as he or she wishes. The food is put/ladled out on the guest�s plate, so he or she is served by the hostess. You have to ask/say several times �would you like some more?� or �take as much you wish� or �let me pour some more wine/spirits, etc�. Guests are satisfied if their stomachs are full and they are in a good mood. It is a habit/custom to give �sz�verős�tő� (=heart strengthening) spirits when you get up, before breakfast in some parts of the country. You have to accept it, because they will get offended. (I must admit that I�m a teetotaller, so I usually ask as little as possible and when they don�t look at me, I pour the spirits into somebody else�s glass.)

And don�t forget to say �K�sz�n�m�=Thank you, for a help/ a service/kindness or courtesy.

Best wishes,
Veronika

9 May 2012     

elif hoca
Turkey

thanks for your all precious information :) I wanna visit Brazil and Argentina by the way ;) thanks veronica :)

9 May 2012     

< Previous   1    2