Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for the right thing to say    

Looking for the right thing to say

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Looking for the right thing to say

Hi everybody!

I�d like to ask you all something. Imagine this situation: there�s a nine-year girl that is supposed to do a few chores before going to school, in fact, this time she has to get a bucket full of water, because they don�t any water home. As she is late, she has to rush and doesn�t bring as much water as she should. When she arrives home, her mother, not a very nice woman, holds the bucket and looks at the amount of water, not as much as she wanted, and in Portuguese she literally says: �Only this?�. Well, I think that does not sound something a native English speaker would say. Would �Is that all?� be possible and correct in this situation? Would it something natural to say in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Cristina

10 May 2012      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Cristina,

I presume that this is NOT a true story, but is an invented story to illustrate a topic of conversation.

The mother, (who seems to be an unpleasant person), might say:

"Is this all?
"Is this all you could manage?"
"What do you call this?"
"And what am I supposed to do with this?"

She would be unlikely to say:

"Is that all?"

"This" refers to something close to the Speaker: "that" refers to something at a distance from the Speaker.  I think that the bucket of water would be at the Mother �s feet - close to her!  "Is THIS all?"

However, she might use, "THAT", in a sarcastic manner, to indicate metaphorically how distant, small, and insignificant the water is.  "Is THAT all you could find?  What do you call THAT?  You don�t call THAT a bucket of water, do you?"

When described with a sarcastic, sneering tone in the voice, "THIS" or "THAT", refers to a small, unpleasant, useless thing.

Please, tell the ungrateful Mother that if she asks Teacher Les to get water for her, and if she is bad-mannered to Teacher Les, HE will GIVE her the water --- over her HEAD.

Les

10 May 2012     

Apodo
Australia

From a native speaker downunder.....

Is that all?

Sounds fine to me.

10 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Americans would have no problem with "Is that all?" although Les �s suggestions are even snarkier.

10 May 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Sorry Les, but I disagree  although I do love your comprehensive explanantion and what you�d do with that water.

Is that all (there is) is ok and need not be sarcastic, although it probably is in this context because mum is mean.  The girl has the bucket and so she is saying thatThis would also fit.

In my opinion only this (that) is ok too.  

Cheers

Jayho

10 May 2012     

bill24
Thailand

Is that it?.....(meaning) the best you could do?
This is what I, an English native would say.It being the amount of water.

10 May 2012     

jannabanna
France

I would say:  "Is that all !" because it �s an expression and has nothing to do with "this = close to the speaker" or "that = farther away". 

Janet

10 May 2012     

douglas
United States

"Is that all?"  intonation will determine if it is sarcastic or not.

11 May 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Cristina, and other Members,

The Portuguese mother was expecting to receive a bucket, full to the brim with water.  Unfortunately, the daughter brings to her an insufficient quantity.  The mother holds the bucket in her hands, looks at the small amount of water, and says in Portuguese: "Only this?"

What would an English native say in such a situation?

The short answer is: "We don �t know!"

We can offer only an opinion.

I can not speak for Australia, the USA, or other English-speaking lands.  Other Members here have offered excellent opinions and advice regarding this Post.

However, the following comments are for the benefit of Beginners in English.  They relate strictly to the use of the Demonstrative Pronouns and the Demonstrative Determiners.

"This", (singular); "These", (plural).
"That", (singular); "Those", (plural).

"This" and "That" refer to one person, animal, or thing.
      "These" and "Those" refer to more than one person, animal, or thing.
      "This" and "These" refer to objects which are close, (in space, time, or in text), to the Speaker/Writer.
      "That" and "Those" refer to objects which are less close, (in space, time, or in text), to the Speaker/Writer.
      The word "This" is in contrast to the word "That".
      The word "These" is in contrast to the word "Those".

"This chocolate in my mouth is better than that chocolate on the table".
"These chocolates in my mouth are better than those chocolates on the table".

"This sandwich that I am eating is better than that sandwich I had yesterday".
"These sandwiches that I am eating are better than those sandwiches I had yesterday".

"This word I am reading now is longer than that word on the next page".
"These words I am reading now are longer than those words on the next page".

"This word you said just now has more syllables than that word you said earlier".  
"These words you said just now have more syllables than those words you said earlier".

I hope that this helps.

Les

11 May 2012