Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > an english proverb    

an english proverb

jarek2011
Poland

an english proverb

I am racking my brain and I can �t recall an English proverb that says that from time to time we must be a bit selfish and have some me-time and do our own things.

In Polish we say that "everyone needs to grind their own flour from time ti time".

Can you help me to find a nice equivalent that will sound/ feel similar in English?

12 May 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m thinking about this, but in the meantime, in the North, the old �uns used to say, �Self first, self last, and if there �s owt left, self again �.  

Owt is Yorkshire twang for anything.

12 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about 
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy?
Sophia

12 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I was thinking of that one. I used it about Les (idthemagicman) a couple of weeks ago and he gave a superb reply. If I was as clever as you, Sophia, I would be able to give the link.

12 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

To find that post you need to search the forum posts, but you need to know either the user who originally started the thread or the date when it was posted. You need good memory for that, not smarts:)
I don �t remember either of that Confused
Sophia  

12 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I thought there was a way, via �my followed topics � but apparently not. I might have a look for this post, because Les �s answer was brilliant. I �ll see what I can do. I �ve got a bit of time on my favourite site before I settle down to watch the film... I wouldn �t mind a caption - anybody up for it?

12 May 2012     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Were you looking for this link?

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=34

Smile

12 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Fantastic, Pinky, thank you! Anybody reading Les �s reply should know that a �jill � (maybe �gill �) is a half pint of beer.

12 May 2012