Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > the right answer    

the right answer

Xandra10
Serbia

the right answer

Dear friends from all over the world, I really enjoy being a member of this great community. I have to say that my colleagues at school are quite jealous because there are no sites like this one for other school subjects. At least, not as good as this one. 
I �d appreciate if you take a look at this sentence and tell me what answer is the best here.
The .................from home to school usually takes me about an hour.
a) journey      
b)way
c) road
The sentence is from the English language primary school competition test and in the key the right answer is journey. But, I �d choose "way" here. Am I wrong?

12 May 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

a) journey is the correct answer.

12 May 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi!

take a look at the definitions according to longman dicitonary online:

jour‧ney [countable]
1 especially British English a time spent travelling from one place to another, especially over a long distance [= trip American English]

way
1method [countable] a method that you use to do or achieve something:
There are several different ways we can tackle this problem.

road
1 [uncountable and countable] a specially prepared hard surface for cars, buses, bicycles etc to travel on [↪ street, motorway, freeway]

As a conclusion the correct answer is "Journey"

12 May 2012     

Xandra10
Serbia

Thank you cunliffe ascincoquinas  and ueslteacher      for your quick answers. Yes, I saw the definitions but it was "the long distance" that confused me. And I think that I �ve heard something like - "the way to my school" or something like that. But probably the "way" here is used in the sense of direction.
Thanks again!

12 May 2012     

foose1
United States

The answer is, "journey from home." You only have three answers. Why not just answer the question? As far as way is concerned, a person from England would have to answer as I recall having visited England many times.  The "way" sticks too my my like glue as having a meaning only an English person can describe. In American we would say, "the way out."  Which way is the station.  In my mind it is the way to something.  Also, the way to do something but in this context, no way would an American use it, nor any of the British people I had to deal with in England.
John

12 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Xandra, "way" is related to the direction. It is how you get there, not the time, distance or road. There is a song, "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?", referring to the directions to get there. When I was teaching English, most of my Spanish-speaking students thought that "way" meant "road".

Now, to confuse matters, "on the way" or "on my way" is related to the actual process of going, but it really refers to the route itself.

I met an interesting man on my way to work yesterday.
You �re going to the post office? Is there a bakery on the way?

Bruce

12 May 2012     

Xandra10
Serbia

Thank you all Smile!   

12 May 2012