Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar test - help    

Grammar test - help

ohermann
Czech Republic

Grammar test - help

Hi dear colleagues,
Have a nice Sunday. I wonder if you could give me a hand. Confused I�ve come across some questions in a sample test of my students who are preparing for university entrance test. Two of 50 questions are quite difficult for me to explain (and actually understand Embarrassed ).

Question 1
Rarely .... succeed in ballet if they start after the age of 12. 
a) children   b) are children   c) children have   d) do children

In this question I would say a) is correct, but the answer key says d). I do not understand why!?!

Question 2
Don�t be too hard on him, he�s doing the job ... 
a) best as he can   b) as he can best   c) as best he can   d) he can as best 

The correct answer is c) (answer key says that), but why not the answer a)

So, is there anybody who could crack these two nuts for me? Or at least one? Wink

13 May 2012      

papadeli
Greece

Inversion,  examples,  links

Greetings from Greece,

13 May 2012     

tancredo
Portugal

Question one:

Examples:

I rarely see him.     Rarely do I see him

If you want to emphasize this you can start by the adverb "rarely". However, when you start a sentence with an adverb of negation you have to transform the sentence as if it were in the interrogative form. You have to identify the tense of the verb and then use the correct interrogative.

Ex.

Rarely do I see him.  The sentence is in the simple present, so you use do,as the auxiliary of the interrogative in the present.

You can �t do that under any circumstances! 

Under no circumstances can you do that! - Can makes the interrogative form by inverting the subject.

I have never seen such a thing!

Never
have I seen such a thing!

You can look for further practice in any grammar under the title "Inversion of subject"

Question 2

When you compare two things (comparative of equality) you use as...as. This is reason.
I hope I �ve made it a little clearer for you.

Have a nice Sunday.

13 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

Tancredo �s answer for #1 is excellent, but #2 doesn �t have "as...as" in it, so that answer doesn �t work. Just think of "as best he can" as a fixed expression. It is very similar in meaning to "as well as he can", but it uses the superlative. I can �t think of any other adjectives that are used this way, so I think "as best he can" is the only construction like this. Someone will correct me if I �m wrong.

Bruce

13 May 2012     

summertime7
Australia

Hi Friends!
In my opinion in the second case you can�t choose a because when you use as... as the adjective or adverb go in the middle. He �s diong it as best as he can.

Enjoy your Sunday!   

13 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s an idiom and it �s in the dictionary: http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/best_2
IDIOMS

as best you can

not perfectly but as well as you are able
We �ll manage as best we can.
Sophia

13 May 2012     

mido2012
United Arab Emirates

i think the discussion of the friend tancredo is very correct and wonderful
i cannot say any more

13 May 2012     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Thanks a million for your HEEEEELP - dear colleagues, to all of you! Thumbs Up Clap
As for the first question - of course I had known the reversion, but only in the connection with the conditionals. But I had never realized it is also used in other tenses with some words, such as rarely.
As for the second question - I hadn�t known the idiom at all. There is always room for the improvement, right? And I really appreciate the community of helpful and willing friends at ESLPRINTABLES who are always ready to help. The greatest site ever!
Hugs from the Czech Republic Hug
Oto

13 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, summertime7, we put the adjective between "as" and "as", but we don �t use comparative or superlative forms for that, so "as best as he can" isn �t correct. It would be "as well as he can".

Bruce

13 May 2012