Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > QUESTION    

QUESTION

Yolandaprieto
Spain

QUESTION

When we like how our students present their compositions, can we say "beautiful presentation/format"?
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

13 May 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

how about layout?

13 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Any of those three would be fine, but they are compliments to the work �s appearance rather than the substance.

13 May 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

As MM says, these terms apply more to the appearance - which shouldn �t really apply to a composition (essay or similar piece of writing) unless you are genuinely impressed by the layout (typeface, spacing, use of italics etc). Perhaps you mean something along the lines of "well-structured"?

14 May 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I mean the appearance. I try to teach them that the presentation is also important, although the content is what really matters. You should have seen some letters they have written to an imaginary organization to participate on the Quetzal Route. We have been getting information about it in class and they were enthusiastic about the possibility of participating in the future. Now they can �t because they are too young but they have written letters as if they were really interested in going this summer.
Thanks to those who have helped me
Yolanda

14 May 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Yolanda

I know what you mean.  Presentation is an important aspect of formal writing and it �s good to acknowledge it particularly it when it is done correctly by someone who has not presented their work appropriately before.

You might say:

Excellent presentation  or  Nicely laid out.

With formal reports, I have commented with the words beautiful presentation if they have gone out of their way to make it look extremely professional (laminated cover, colour, binding etc).  But I don �t do this with essays.

Cheers

Jayho

14 May 2012