Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can I go to the toilet    

can I go to the toilet

Apodo
Australia

And the person who developed the flush toilet was Thomas Crapper.  Good name, eh? ;-)

LOL Australians have so many wonderful words for toilet visits, but as IbuLulu said we are quite happy to use the word toilet.

14 May 2012     

douglas
United States

Correct, Americans prefer "May I use the restroom?" or "May I use the bathroom?" 

The logic is that when you say "toilet" a person gets a mental picture of the the single fixture (the toilet) and what goes into it.  When you use "restroom" or "bathroom" the mental picture tends to be a sink or bathtub which is much more appealing when, for example, people are sitting at the dinner table.

Using "toilet" is not really rude, it is just frowned upon and its use is rare in comparison to the other terms.

Cheers,
Douglas

15 May 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

Personally I have always found it interesting when students ask to go to the bathroom as there is usually no bath in a language school and so how can we have a �bathroom �.
Downunder we prefer a separate room so that more people can use the facilities at once. I have even lived in a house that had three different rooms for ablutions..one toilet, one bathroom and one shower room.
We use the word �toilet � quite comfortably!
Cheers Joy

15 May 2012     

alexcure
Poland

So as not to sound incorrect to an American or Australian ear isn �t it okay to all ears just saying: Can I go to the loo? Tongue

Have a nice day!

Alex

15 May 2012     

rockthevinyl
United States

I completely agree with Douglas!  In fact, that�s the explanation I give to my Spanish-speaking students - who, learning English in Spain, speak British English.  As an American, I get the unpleasant visual of a toilet and the actions associated with it...when in fact, maybe the student is just going to wash his/her hands! 

Bathroom - inside a house, for example.  A �half-bath� would be just a sink and toilet if I �m not mistaken.

Restroom - public facility, like at a rest stop or a mall (shopping center).

Toilet - the actual object.

That �s how I use those terms, anyway!

15 May 2012     

douglas
United States

>>Alex:  Most Americans don�t know what a loo is.

15 May 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Hahahaha, my English sounds to be too British. Anyway, to my Polish ear the word �restroom � sounds very funny so you can imagine the reaction of the students... anyway funny words are always easier to memorise, ;-) (PS. I always taught my students the word �loo� and also the word �john� as its American colloquial equivalent, tell me if you have heard someone saying �john� now, I heard it saying about 15 years ago in England but by a group of American tourists).

15 May 2012     

Liligirl
Brazil

I didn �t catch the joke John said " please , no swimming " . Can you explain ?

15 May 2012     

< Previous   1    2