Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A few weeks in the UK    

A few weeks in the UK

margmir
Portugal

A few weeks in the UK

Dear friends,

I read this forum everyday and everyone is always so helpful! So, I hope there is someone who can help too :).
Here �s the situation:
I would really like to improve my oral skills / fluency in English (of course!). For that, I thought it would be great to spend my holidays (August) in an English speaking country. The problem is that I can �t afford going to the UK or somewhere else just to be on holidays... my idea would be to find some kind of summer job which helped me pay for the expenses. Besides, it would be much easier to get some interaction with native speakers, right? I �m willing to do (almost) anything, from cleaning to babysitting, fruit picking, bartending or dish washing... anything legally, ethically and morally acceptable, of course :))
So, what I �d like to ask you is:
- First, what do you think of my idea (is it reasonable or just nonsense)?
- Does anyone have any other suggestions/experiences to share?
- Do have any contacts that may be useful for this matter?...

I �d really appreciate any kind of help. THANK YOU so much, love you all!!

Greetings from Portugal ;)
Margarida

18 May 2012      

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

Why don �t you try some summer camps and see if they are looking for monitors? Summer camps usually give you a place to stay, food and a salary for the time you are there.

18 May 2012     

Kita19
Portugal

Hi Margarida!

I think your idea is very good :) Have you heard of Couchsurfing? You can try it, at least the accomodation is free ;) and you get to know a person native in the language, which is perfect.

Here is the website: www.couchsurfing.org. If you want to know more about what is Couchsurfing (if you don �t know what it is, of course), you can read this: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchSurfing

A cousin of mine spent some days in London with a friend using Couchsurfing and she loved it! :)

Good luck!

Patr�cia

18 May 2012     

omfp
Portugal

Hello Margarida,

In my point of view, you had a great idea. I have worked as an aupair in England for one year. It was a great experience and I learnt quite a lot. My job was only looking after the baby. The family gave me accomodation, food and they paid me 50� a week. If your are interested, there are some aupair agencies on the Internet. Have a look!  

Good luck! ;-)

Dina

18 May 2012     

xochitsin
Mexico

I �m agree with you all! I �m a Couchsurfer memeber and  I was aupair,  too. I think both ideas are really good to improve any language. When I lived i France with  couchsurfing I could practice my English with all the visitors we had, and being aupair helped me with my French ;). If you want more info about surfing a couch you can ask all you wanna know about it!

Here you have the direct link:

http://www.couchsurfing.org/home.html

Xoch

18 May 2012     

silvia.patti
Italy

I think coachsurfing is a great idea, too; but how can I be sure that my host/guest is a good person? Nowadays you can hear about violence, burglary, murders... I �m puzzled! Confused
Silvia

18 May 2012     

margmir
Portugal

Thank you all for the ideas. I have some friends who are couchsurfers and they �ve all had great experiences. The only problem is that I �d like to stay for more than a few days and I �m not sure if there are hosts willing to accept that... anyway, I �ll try to learn more about it!
As for working as aupair or in summer camps, it sounds really good to me. I �ll search the web to see if I can find something. Thanks!!
I �ll let you know about my experience if I actually do it ;)))
Hugs
Margarida

20 May 2012