Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > time    

time

jarek2011
Poland

time

Something makes me wonder again and I need to pick your brains again. Is there a difference between telling the time in American English and British English?

What I mean is that Americans are more likely to say 10:15 (ten fifteen)/ 10:30 (ten thirty) while the British would go for (a) quarter past ten vs halp past ten.  Did I get it right?

18 May 2012      

zailda
Brazil

What I know about the subject is that �a quarter past / after� is more likely to hear in informal conversation, whereas �ten-fifteen� is more likely to be used in formal situations.

When asking the time, I guess there�s a little difference in use, if I hear:

�What time is it?� I guess it�s an American, because they use this expression more than: �Have you got the time?� that seems to be preferred by British.

But I might be completely wrong. What do our British / American members have to say?

Which one is more common in British English:

�I guess you have the time in hands to ask lots of questions.� or

�I see you�ve got plenty of time to ask lots of questions.�

Have a nice day!

Zailda Coirano

18 May 2012