Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > June is Roma Gypsy Traveller History month    

June is Roma Gypsy Traveller History month

cunliffe
United Kingdom

June is Roma Gypsy Traveller History month

Hi colleagues, I need some help. June is Roma Gypsy Traveller history month and many of my students come from this background. Many others are of Asian origin. I want to prepare a lesson or an assembly for the whole school. My idea is to look at the origins of the Roma people and then focus on similarities between Roma language and Urdu/Hindi. Or something like that.... Any ideas? Or has anybody done anything similar?

20 May 2012      

Mariethe House
France

I found this... I don �t know if it can be really useful. Just have a look. Maybe it gives you some ideas.
http://www.crystalinks.com/romapeople.html
I happen to know some gypsies quite well. . They are quite reluctant to talk about their language which is kept a secret between themseves so that the gadj� can �t understand.
However children don�t hesitate to say a few words if they trust you so , just ask  your pupils fora few words in their language .... Find the same words in Urdu and see if they correspond! Apparently, they do.
Good luck and tell me how it went!Smile

20 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I thought this post was a long shot, but you �ve come up trumps again, Marie.Clap This site looks great - plenty for me to work on. I really appreciate your time and trouble. Yes, I �ll pair the lads up and see what they can come up with in terms of language. Merci beaucoup ma chere!

20 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Avec plaisir, ch�re amie.Big smile

20 May 2012     

coasvaf
Portugal

https://hotfile.com/dl/156403365/f635c9b/Gypsies.rar.html

Hope it is useful! Wish you a good job and wait for some feedback!
Hugs from Portugal!!

20 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you very much - very kind of you!
Hugs from England.

20 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Just saw that your post wasn �t an announcement but a request:) 

maybe you �ll make some use of this
a discussion

Sophia

20 May 2012