Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for an expression     

Looking for an expression

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Looking for an expression

Hi there!

Here I am bothering you all again. Well, let�s imagine that you�re talking to a friend and you�re making fun of each other, but in a friendly way. Then you kind of menace him, but once again you�re just joking. You want to something like �Stop it or I�ll throw a ball to your face�. How would a native English speaker say it? Is there something similar in English?

Thanks in advance!

22 May 2012      

alphanumeric
South Africa

Hello :)

I sometimes say, "Stop it or I �ll punch you in the face!"

But you can only say that to a really good friend. Saying it to anyone else could get you into trouble :p Also, it �s more the kind of thing a guy says to another guy.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Paul

22 May 2012     

IbuLulu
Australia

I might say "I �m going to slap you" but of course as Paul says, only with a good friend!

22 May 2012     

alphanumeric
South Africa

"I �m going to slap you!" Perfect. You nailed it!

That �s a little less violent than my version. And, perhaps more suitable for a girl to say to another girl/guy.

As a guy, though, I wouldn �t say it to another guy. (Whoever said English is easy, was lying.)

Good luck!

22 May 2012     

hoacuc
Vietnam

Grammar and Vocabulary

1. World Cup is the most popular sporting _______  today.

A). team                           B). incident                      C). series                         D). event

2. The series is watched by millions of _______ .

A). view                           B). views                         C). viewers                      D). viewing

3. There was ____ to see from the window, except the vast blackness of the Australian desert below.

A). something                   B). nothing                       C). everything                   D). anything

4. Can you tell me the _____ of these shoes?

A). charge                        B). price                          C). amount                       D). expense

5. I started _____at the age of five.

A). study                          B). school                        C). learn                           D). schooling

6. Breakfast is the first ____ of the day.

A). food                           B). dinner                         C). lunch                          D). meal

7. The child was told to _____ for being rude to his uncle.

A). excuse                        B). apologize                    C). forgive                        D). confess

8. Let us know as soon as possible so that we can start ____ arrangements.

A). fitting                          B). doing                          C). making                       D). fixing

9. We call a man who delivers the mail a _______.

A). newsman                    B). mailbox                      C). mailman                      D). officers

10. Jane is 18 years old, but she sometimes acts as a child. She seems to be ___ for her age.

A). inattentive                   B). informal                      C). dishonest                    D).  immature

11. My father asked me _____ of the film.

A). what do you think                                               B). what I think

C). What did you think                                             D). what I thought

12. �What day is today- the 18th or the 19th?� �______. It�s the 20th.�

A). Either                         B). Neiher                        C). Both                           D). Not at all

13. "Tien Quan Ca", the Vietnam National Anthem was _________ in 1944.

A). write                          B). writing                        C). written                        D). wrote

14. He rang James, ____ a good friend as well as his trainer.

A). who was                    B). that was                     C). being                          D). to be

15. Someone called you Patrick, _____?

A). did they                      B). didn�t they                  C). did it                          D). didn�t it

16. The pictures _____ by Picasso are expensive.             

A). painting                      B). painted                       C).being painted               D). to be painted

17. It is not easy to study a foreign language all by ______.

A).  oneself                      B). herself                        C). itself                           D). himself

18. She saw me but she didn�t bother ____ hello to me

A). to say                         B). say                             C). saying                         D). to have said

19. It is estimated that about 640 women remain illiterate in ____ world, mostly in developing countries.

A). a                                B). an                              C). the                             D). no article

20 . Nam isn�t at home now. He has �����.. to Vung Tau already.

A). gone             B). been                           C). went                         D).was

21. Some people are afraid �����. the height.

A). off                          B). about                           C). with                          D). of

22. How ����� is the fence? I think it�s difficult to jump over it.

A). length                     B). width                           C). high                          D). depth

23. Women are increasingly involved ____the public life.

A). in                              B). with                            C). from                           D). of

24. Western women are more _____ than Asian women.

A). depend                       B). dependent                  C). independent                D). independently

25. She drives very �����.. She has never had an accident.

A). careful                      B). careless                       C). carefully         D). carelessly

26. I asked her to turn ����. the light because I cannot see anything.

A). off                          B). of                                C). on                             D). away

27. According ��. this newspaper report, we�ve got a 50% chance of living to be 100 years old.

A). for                          B). to                                 C). by                            D). with

28. Maybe the ship was in danger _____ running around in the island.

A). in                            B). of                                C). out                             D). at

29. His book was criticized _____ when it was first published.

A). severe                    B). severely                  C). severer                         D). severing

30. Explorers, in space or on land must be extraordinarily ______.

A). bravely                   B). brave                      C). braver                         D). braveness

Reading Comprehension

I/.Read the article below . For question 31-35, you are to choose the best answer to fill in each blank.

THE KIWI

The kiwi lives only in New Zealand. It is a very strange bird because it cannot ��.. (1) ��.

The kiwi is the same size as a chicken. It has no wings or tail. It does not have any feathers like other birds. It has hair on its �. (2)�. Each foot has four toes. Its beak is very long.

A kiwi likes a lot of trees around it. It sleeps �. (3)�� the day because the sunlight hurts its eyes. It can smell things with its nose. It is the only bird in the world that can smell things. The kiwi�s eggs are very big.

There are only a few kiwis in New Zealand now. People never see them. The �. (4)� says that people cannot kill kiwis; New Zealanders want their kiwis to live.

There is a �..(5)�. of a kiwi on New Zealand money. People from New Zealand are sometimes called kiwis.

31.       A). fly                           B). run                          C). walk                       D). sing

32.       A). body                      B). toes                        C). head                       D). finger

33.      A). on                           B). during                     C). through                   D). along

34.       A). people                    B). New Zealanders     C). kiwis                      D). government

35.       A). photo                     B). painting                   C). picture                    D). symbol

22 May 2012     

jononionsoup
Vietnam

How about

Stop it or I �ll hit you!

I think both guys and girls would use that one.

22 May 2012     

spinney
United Kingdom

You could say "give it a rest!"
or "put a sock in it!" or "alright, you �ve had your fun!" etc.

22 May 2012     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Nice one, Spiney!

I think Spinney �s suggestion is interesting and funny!

Put a sock in it is hilarious!!Where does this expression come from?

23 May 2012     

Redbull
Thailand

I would use Spinneys "PUT A SOCK IN IT" very much used in our native speech 
:).
or you can also say shut your cake-hole/mouth is also used.It was widely used in the UK until about 1970s same with put a sock in it.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

23 May 2012