Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > head noun    

head noun

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

head noun

Hello everyone ,
Could anyone help me to check if this sentence is grammatically correct or not?

We learn things by heart which is not effective .

I wanted to know whether the use of "is not "  correct or should I  use "are not " .

23 May 2012      

Mariethe House
France

I �d say: "we learn things by heart ,which is not a very effective way of learning"
              "Learning things by heart is not a very effective method of learning"
A bit more moderateSmile
  " we learn things by heart which is not one of the most effective  ways of learning"
 let �s wait for,the natives!!Wink 

23 May 2012     

mariec
Spain

"is not effective" is correct as we are talking about the act of learning things by heart

23 May 2012     

naheddarfi
Tunisia

put a comma after heart that �s it

23 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Grammatically, "which" means "heart" in the original sentence. Mariethe �s rephrasings sound much better to me. Or you could use "memorize" instead of "learn by heart."

23 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

Actually, "which" refers to the whole clause, so, as naheddarfi said, it just needs a comma. However, I agree that Mariethe �s wordings are clearer.

Bruce

23 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You guys can �t see the wood for the trees. We learn things by heart, which IS effective.Wink

23 May 2012     

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

Thanks for everyone .

23 May 2012