Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with an expression please!    

Help with an expression please!

vickyvar
Greece

Help with an expression please!

Hello everyone!
I really need your help because I �m stuck!
What is correct to say: "There is a lot to do today", "There is a lot to be done today", or are they both correct?

Thanks in advance!

23 May 2012      

piranhac
Tunisia

There are many things to do today
or
There is a lot to be done today

23 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

they �re both correct but I have heard the second one more often than the first one.
You could also say: there �s a lot that needs doing today.Smile

23 May 2012     

vickyvar
Greece

Thanks both of you.

piranhac : I thought it would be better to say :"There are many things to do", but as I said I was stuck... too tired!!!
Thanks again!

23 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

In USA, we would usually say, "There �s a lot" as opposed to "There are many things." Either the active infinitive "to do" or the passive "to be done" are fine. "To do" emphasizes that YOU need to do them, and "to be done" says more that SOMEONE (you or another person or other people) need to do them.

23 May 2012     

Jayho
Australia

In the land downunder we use both of what you suggested as well as the other suggestions.

Cheers

Jayho

23 May 2012     

gogar
Turkey

both of them correct.
meaningful difference :
1.There is a lot to do today--> you are going to do a lot of things (work,event,job...) today. Because you r decided to do those before.
2. There is a lot to be done today--> You want to do all of these works today but may be you can �t finish all fo them till evening (end of the day)

We use the second expression usually in working life.
I hope I could explain it.

23 May 2012