Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar Problem    

Grammar Problem

Scheffer
Brazil

Grammar Problem

Dear colleagues,

Yesterday, I came across with an intriguing question: a student of mine had taken an international exam and he showed me an exercise in which the alternatives, in my opinion, don �t seem to fit the rest of the sentence.
I would appreciate it if any of you would bring the answer to light.

Not only_____ like business, he loves anything connected to finance.

a) he
b) he likes
c) he like
d) does he

24 May 2012      

miss_alejandra
Argentina

hi! yesterday I read about correlative conjuctions, and I found a thing that may help you:

example
 "not only (did they break into his office and steal his books), but (they also tore his        manuscripts)".

the sentece acquires a more dramatic effect when positioning not only initially, with SUBJECT - OPERATOR INVERSION, when the two clauses are entire clauses.

so, I think the last one mightbe the right one. 

24 May 2012     

Hocine B.
Algeria

Hocine B.
Algeria

Answer  d ( does he) is the right choice.The inversion construction ( question word order )is used when not only is used at the beginning of a sentence.

24 May 2012     

branchy
Croatia

answer D. :)

24 May 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Answer D::

1. Negatives

1. He is a doctor.

He ate an apple.

Not only is he a doctor, (but) he is also a millionaire.

Not only did he eat an apple, (but) he also ate an orange.

and

Usually, a "not only" feels lost without a "but also" to pal around with. However, it is idiomatically possible and acceptable to omit the "but also." Burchfield gives this example: "Rowers not only face backward, they race backward."

Authority: The New Fowler �s Modern English Usage edited by R.W. Burchfield. Clarendon Press: Oxford, England. 1996. Used with the permission of Oxford University Press. (under "not")

24 May 2012     

Scheffer
Brazil

Thank you very much miss_alejandraHocine B.branchy  and Jayho.
You helped me a lot cuz I really had no idea.

Thanx again.

24 May 2012     

wizardesl
Portugal

Hi,

The correct answer is D. When you start a sentence with a negative expression, you have to invert the subject, as if it were a question.

Isabel Santos

24 May 2012