Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What are the English words which your students are often confused about because of the interference of the mother tongue?    

What are the English words which your students are often confused about because of the interference of the mother tongue?

htaraf
Turkey

What are the English words which your students are often confused about because of the interference of the mother tongue?

Hi everyone,
This is the first time I have written here. I have been using eslprintables for a long time, but recently I have found a chance to write here. First of all, I would like to thank the founder and administrator of this website, and of course you for all your valuable contributions. 
As for my intent to create this post, I wanted to explore your opinions and experiences.
As a teacher with five-year experience of teaching, I have often observed that my students are really confused about the meanings of some English words because of the interference of their mother tongue,namely Turkish. I am also a PhD candidate in ELT and I am interested in finding out what English words are misused or what words they are having difficulty in learning because of the differences in the target language and their native language. If you could inform me about them, I would appreciate your help.
Have a nice day :))

25 May 2012      

olaola
Italy

My students get confused with words with  Latin roots as they  are Italian native speakers

25 May 2012     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Hi, one word my ss usually have problems with is "molesting", since in spanish molestar translates to disturb, nag, etc, so they use it in that context.

I hope that helps.

Bere

25 May 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

English false friends for the Czechs:
http://www.helpforenglish.cz/slovni-zasoba/cestina-vs.-anglictina/c2005121901-false-friends.html

25 May 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

A lot are confusing for Spanish speakers : sensible - sensitive - actually - battery - revolve -   and many more . Check here :  http://forodeespanol.com/Archive/SpanishEnglishFalseFriends/hbxh/post.htm

25 May 2012     

languaria
Germany

There is one word that drives Germans crazy:

to come   =   German "kommen"     but:

to become   =   German "werden"   , not "bekommen" which means: to receive

25 May 2012     

rickbell
Brazil

For brazilians the verb TO PRETEND is very confunsing because it �s a false friend for the verb PRETENDO in portuguese, which means I intend IN English. Can You imagine the scene? "I prentend to be a good father"

25 May 2012     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I find that when we teach English to our French Canadian students there is a problem with
"I have and I take ".  In French it is "Je prends mon petit d�jeuner " which translates into  "I take my breakfast" instead of  "I eat or have my breakfast".  The students tend to say
"I take my breakfast".

25 May 2012     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

This is a fascinating post.
Thanks to all the posters.

I teach in Japan and as someone who spent 2 years in a Japanese-taught-in-Japanese school I can sympathize with people having this problem, and many of my students do.

In English we have some verbs that are stative, for example "I like cake", and not "I am liking cake". In Japanese there are some that are opposite (dynamic verbs).

Conversely, we have some dynamic verbs in English that do change, but do not in Japanese.
For example:

kare ga kuru - he comes / we will come

kare ga kita - he is coming (is not quite here) but is actually the past tense

kare ga kiteiru - he is here (meaning: he has come and is now here, but grammatically the present-continuous: his is coming)

So when the Ss use equivalent English, the sometimes make the stative/dynamic error.

Also some (verbs/nouns/adjectives) words in English exist as words in Japanese but are not grammatically equivalent, so many students use a noun as an adjective, adjective as a noun, and so on.

I hope my contribution is not too vague - I did not want to write too much.

25 May 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

To add to Giovanni �s post with French speakers:

They say they "have 15 years old", the literal translation from French

And...

"I am agree" which is also a word for word translation from French

25 May 2012     

Anna P
Brazil

Brazilian students also tend to say "have 15 years old" as we say "tenho 15 anos".  Another false friend for us is "push & pull" as "puxe" sounds like "push" but means "pull".

25 May 2012     

1    2    Next >