Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I was wondering....    

I was wondering....

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

I was wondering....

Maybe you can give me your opinion on this...  every time i am going to read a new story  i have a problem getting to choose the vocabulary to teach before reading the story.  i usually dont know how to pick them because 90% of the words are not known by my students. how do you do it ?  how do you read a story to your student or with your students when they are slow or behind the standards of the grade they are supposed to be?

26 May 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

teach them key words and phrases which will help them grasp the story line.
Sophia

26 May 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Liz!

I have the same problem.....:((((

But if you wish to take a look at this link it might inspire you

http://busyteacher.org/search.html?q=reading+strategies

26 May 2012     

james33
Morocco

Hi,
This is my e-mail : [email protected]
send me yours. I can send you some reference books and teaching material on reading.

Have a nice weekend!

26 May 2012     

silvia.patti
Italy

Perhaps you should choose easier stories, or you should rewrite them in a simpler language before reading the original one.
Silvia

26 May 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m with ueslteacher. I pick stories that have illustrations that explain the story very well and I pick the key elements to teach to my students. 

26 May 2012     

zailda
Brazil

First I present the story, and then I point every sentence and picture, asking them what they think it means. Of course my questions give half of the answer, so I can lead them to discover what the words mean in the context. After the story I also prepare some kind of activity to give the kids the opportunity to practice the new words with a different background.

Hope it helps.

Have a nice weekend!

26 May 2012     

papadeli
Greece

I use the pictures of the story but I rewrite it. Have a look here and here.
I also add a lot of pictures to help Ss guess the meaning of the sentence.
Greetings from Greece,

26 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Sophia, that �s awesome! Did you do this? and do you do this all the time? It must be very time consuming.... But I have to say this is so beneficial for your ss.
Sophia

26 May 2012     

papadeli
Greece

For every page of our books (all levels!), either it is a story or grammar. But I can tell the difference... I can �t work in a different way any more. It is time consuming - I takes me more than 3 hours for every ppt. I sometimes draw my own story. This is the hardest part... But kids seem to remember about 80-85% of the lesson without studying. So....

26 May 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi again!

what about this link:

26 May 2012     

1    2    Next >