Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Problems with relative clauses    

Problems with relative clauses

Kita19
Portugal

Problems with relative clauses

Hello!

A friend of mine is writing an essay about the problems that may occur when teaching "relative clauses". I mean, what are the main difficulties of the students when learning this topic? What do you think?

She has already some ideas, but is lacking some more.

The ideas she has already:
1- Difference between defining/non-defining;
2- Agreement with antecedents;
3- When to omit the relative;
4-  The use with prepositions (eg. do you say "This is the room in which I was born" or "This is the room that I was born in?" /
"He was respected by the people he worked with" or "He was respected by the people with whom he worked?" - the difference may confuse students).

I appreciate any more ideas you may have. :)

Thanks!

28 May 2012      

james33
Morocco

Hi,
I think you �ll find all what you need with details and examples in many good grammar books. �Practical English Grammar � is one of them.These books are used by teachers as reference books and by university students.They are of great importance!!
I can send you some if you want.Here �s my e-mail:
[email protected]
James33,

28 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I would also suggest punctuation as it doesn �t always coincide with the native language and is therefore ambiguous (at least it �s true for Ukrainian) 

Could common mistakes help your friend?

Sophia

29 May 2012