Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

avanti1484
India

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hii
i am from India and have recently started teaching in an English Institute.
the problem that i am facing is related to a low beginners class.
Now this student doesnt know English at all and prefers using his mother tongue
he needs practice in basic words even
what i want to ask is that what should be the strategy for teaching such a student
how can i make him talk? 

29 May 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

Does he have less English than the other students in the class? Can you have him placed at a more appropriate level?

If not, the first thing you need to do is provide him the vocabulary he needs. Make him learn a few stock phrases, such as "What does this word mean?" and "Please repeat." Once he has a few words and phrases he can say, make it a rule that he has to try to speak English first. Let him, force him to struggle a bit, and praise him when he does.

Find out his interests and why he is studying English in the first place. Work with his motives the best you can. For example, if he loves cricket, talk about the English used in cricket.

Is he a perfectionist? You will need to tell him that he MUST make mistakes to do well in your class. He just needs to make new mistakes, not the same mistakes over and over again. And encourage him to ask questions, mostly in English.

See if other students can help him, too. If you have an excellent student who often finishes quickly, maybe that student can help explain to your struggler. Tell your good student that teaching is an excellent way to learn, so it �s good for both students. (If you give grades, you might also offer some extra credit.) However, be sure the good student HELPS and doesn �t DO the work for your lower-functioning student.

29 May 2012     

Argentina

hi, i agree with you, but the matter is very easy. you have to teach them writting several words in a paper with the right pronunciation, using some easy sentences, ask them to study them and practise them orally, good luck.

29 May 2012