Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

avanti1484
India

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hii
i am from India and have recently started teaching in an English Institute.
the problem that i am facing is related to a low beginners class.
Now this student doesnt know English at all and prefers using his mother tongue
he needs practice in basic words even
what i want to ask is that what should be the strategy for teaching such a student
how can i make him talk? 

29 May 2012      

Panteleimon
Greece

try to use as much english as possible
using native language is not illegal
not bad if he mixes both languages
videos with english subtitles
songs he likes in english language
also this type of people who say nothing in L2 are usually low confidence in speaking and they are selfish characters so each time he speaks english don �t immediately correct him... or at least in the beginning let him make mistakes and just correct 1-3 mistakes each time...
from my own experience these type of students suddenly one day they start talking as soon as they feel they have enough lexicon to use... they don �t like making mistakes or the worse being corrected.
So give him new words with examples to learn 
It �s a difficult situation i can feel ya....

29 May 2012     

lyny
Mexico

I always begin with vocabulary, show them flash cards first, then play domino memos, lottery...
Then begin to structure. It really works with my SS. I think they don�t say an english word cause they don�t know.
Good luck!!!

29 May 2012     

lyny
Mexico

Besides the flash, memos, lottery, etc. to help them lear vocabulary, you can find some pictionaries, they are very usual.
Last night I upload some american - british bookmarks pictionaries but I can�t see them yet. May be later.
This site has a lot of good stuff, I hope you will help your ss.
Hug

29 May 2012     

avanti1484
India

lyny and  Panteleimon: THanks so much you have been a big help.................

2 Jun 2012