Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Native speakers help is needed    

Native speakers help is needed

omfp
Portugal

Native speakers help is needed

Hello!

Could you help me this with this sentence: "But when something comes up that may make my plans go off schedule it stresses me out a bit." Is this sentence correct?
My main problem is the expression "go off schedule". I �ve already looked it up in the dictionaries, but I can �t find anything. Does this expression exist? If yes, what �s its meaning?

Thanks in advance.

Dina

29 May 2012      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Dina

The commonly used expression is: not + going according to schedule

Although I don �t hear it expressed as go off schedule, it sounds perfectly ok to me in the above context and I immediately understood it to mean the same.  I googled it and found it only twice - which suprises me - so maybe it isn �t commonly used.

I �m interested to hear what other NS say.

Cheers

Jayho

29 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

I �d say that it is more common for a person to go off schedule than for plans to do it, but it sounds natural to me (with a comma after schedule in your sentence, of course).

Bruce

29 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It sounds fine to me.

29 May 2012     

GIOVANNI
Canada

We also use not going according to schedule.  As in,  "again my plans are not going according to schedule".  I �ve also heard people use "the train went off schedule several times this week"

29 May 2012     

mariamit
Greece

I agree with Bruce. We usually say a person goes off schedule but it doesn �t sound wrong. Of course I prefer according to schedule, also.

29 May 2012