Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Question...??    

Question...??

Hannie
Portugal

Question...??

Hi there! Goodnight to all!!
I�m making a new worksheet right now but I  came across a doubt that I cannot solve..
What would be more accurate to teach my students:

"How many brothers do you have?"
or
"How many brothers have you got?"

I think that both forms are correct but I don�t know the difference between them or which one I should chose..

Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance,

Hannie  

8 Jan 2009      

Zora
Canada

Both options are correct. Use whichever one you want. It basically all depends on the level of the worksheet. For young beginners, I�d use the second "have got" - but for older kids I�d use "have" as a normal regular verb...

But that�s just my opinion. Smile 

8 Jan 2009     

Hannie
Portugal

Thank you very much Zora!
That�s what I was thinking but I was not sure.. I used have got;) It�s ready to upload now!!

8 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Hannie & everyone else!

Both forms are correct... BUT

�have� is more polite, formal & adult

�got� is more casual, informal & childlike.

You�ll find that usually in Australian & British English it�s likely to follow the above constraints.

Cheers,
ab

9 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

It�s pretty much the same in Canada too regarding the use of "have" and "have got". In fact, it was like the older you got the more teachers insisted on the use of "have"... probably because many people would say "I got a pen" ... instead of "I have got a pen."

9 Jan 2009