Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > please help me to find a suitable expression    

please help me to find a suitable expression

ueslteacher
Ukraine

please help me to find a suitable expression

A question to native speakers:
What expression do you use to describe an idealistic dream (besides American dream)? is there some special collocation? In Russian, for example, there �s a phrase the word for translation of which is "pink dream". Is there a similar phrase in English?
Sophia

31 May 2012      

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I think that you could describe such a dream as a pipe dream - the object of the dream is usually unreachable/impossible.

I like the idea of pink dreams - it reminds me of the expression of looking at the world through rose coloured glasses - i.e. only seeing the positive side of things.

Cindy

31 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks, Cindy,
I guess that �s the expression:)
Sophia

31 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

However, �pipe dream � isn �t a positive, idealistic expression, like the American dream; it �s something you might say quite dismissively -a really hopeless aspiration.

31 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

OK, Lynne, what would be a perfect equivalent?
Sophia

31 May 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Sophia!

Not a native speaker - as you know - but came across with these expressions related to dreams:

beyond your wildest dreams
far more than you could have hoped for or imagined Twenty years later the company has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. Her books have brought her riches beyond her wildest dreams.

dream come true
Fig. a wish or a dream that has become a reality. My vacation to Hawaii was like a dream come true. Having you for a friend is a dream come true.

hope this helps.

31 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks, I do know them and those are not what I was looking for:)
Sophia

31 May 2012     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Sophia!

here are a few for you:

pie in the sky:
 if an idea or plan is pie in the sky, it seems good but is not likely to be achieved

pipe dream:
an unrealistic dream that could be negative (someone else telling you �that �s a pipe dream �) or positive (amongst friends when discussing your �pipe dreams �). They key being the dream is very unrealistic or totally far-fetched, so nothing short of a miracle will make it a reality

day dream:
thinking about a possible pleasant future event when you should be doing something else

I �ll post a few more after my morning classes.
Cheers,
AB

31 May 2012     

yanogator
United States

I think we would just say "a dream" and leave it at that.

Does pink have some significance in the Russian language? I know that red is seen as a noble color, and even appears in the word for "excellent".

Bruce

31 May 2012     

alien boy
Japan

I�m with you Bruce... I can�t think of any equilvalent in English apart from �dream � itself.

Like a great man once said... �I have a dream.... �

Cheers,
AB

31 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you guys:)
@AB: I like "pie in the sky", I �ve never heard it before.

@Bruce: pink could mean different things, but in this very expression it means that the dream is something cherished, naive and something you think will make you happy like a baby:) It also has a tint of irony.

Sophia

31 May 2012     

1    2    Next >