Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I īll go or I īm going?    

I īll go or I īm going?

Adriportes
Brazil

I īll go or I īm going?

I need some help, please! It īs about the use of present continous for the future. Well, when we make a decision at the moment of speaking we use WILL. So, for example... if I am walking along the street and decide to go back I say: "I īll go back." But my student asked me if she can say: "I īm going back." I read in another forum that both forms are possible but I couldn īt find it in any grammar book. I īd be really grateful if anyone could help me. Thank you!

31 May 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

We use present continuous all the time for near future events, such as "I īm working tomorrow." So, your student is correct. I could also say, "I īm going to teach about count and uncount nouns," using "going to" as future. (I didn īt say, "I īm going to work tomorrow" because that could be either "going to" future or a straight present continuous.)

31 May 2012     

Adriportes
Brazil

So even if it was an instant decision in this case and the "near future" is really near... in seconds I would say... then it īs ok to use the present continuous here. Thank you!!

31 May 2012     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Adriportes,

In your example, will is correct.
We use simple future for spontaneous decisions and going to for intentional/planned actions.
But you say "I am coming" meaning "wait for me...Iīll be with you immediately" when speaking to other people.

31 May 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Of course, will is fine too. I didn īt mean to imply otherwise.

31 May 2012     

falafel
Tunisia

Hi dear friend. Will is used with instant decision, while to be going to + Verb is used with future intention. However the present continuous is used with future planned actions. I hope that I will be helpful. Have a nice day.

1 Jun 2012     

Adriportes
Brazil

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

1 Jun 2012