Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ideas needed to promote boys ´ reading    

Ideas needed to promote boys ´ reading

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ideas needed to promote boys ´ reading

Hi everyone. I teach in a boys ´ secondary school (11 - 16). We are having a big push on trying to get the EAL boys doing more reading (well any reading!) There is talk about getting role models in, etc but I would think providing good, interesting materials is key.  Anyone know of any good basic readers based around sport, or detective stories..... I know getting boys reading is a hard nut to crack... Any ideas?

1 Jun 2012      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I don ´t know the level of your students but I have   some books of what you are looking for
Have a look at Longman - Structural reading 1 : Garry ´s first season. ( easy)
Oxford Dominoes : Sherlock Holmes - The Emerald Crown ( easy but a bit mor difficult than the other one)
Penguin readers: The house of the Seven Gabbles ( level 1)
Penguin Readers : Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. ( Level 1)

But if you google easy reader, you will find a lot more. 

1 Jun 2012     

puddyd
Oman

http://www.badgerlearning.co.uk/ecommerce/search/9781849262729-Full-Flight-7-Pack.aspx

Try these, my boys and even the girls have enjoyed them. Good Luck .

1 Jun 2012     

Zora
Canada

One word - comics. Boys like comics. It ´s the easiest way to get them interested in reading.

My theory is this: find something they like, then as they start to see reading isn ´t so bad, you can try to introduce other stuff like spy, detective or fantasy short stories or books.

1 Jun 2012     

Redbull
Thailand

As Zoro has said comics are good reading resources for boys but.....

here are some more ideas.

My Autobiography’ by Jamie Carragher (GOOD) READ

The Autobiography’ by Roy Keane.

George Best – Scoring at Half Time – Adventures On & Off the Pitch’ by Martin Knight. (GOOD) READ

Gazza: My Story’ by Paul Gascoigne. (GOOD) READ

Psycho: The Autobiography’ by Stuart Pearce.

My Defence’ by Ashley Cole.

Last but not least is the new one by Harry Redknapp: My Autobiography (GOOD) READ

LINKS...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Autobiographies-please-read-them/lm/R2PETYLHY2O234

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/oct/15/sportandleisure.features

Now you should be able to get some of these in free pdf if you know where to search for them.

EXAMPLE....
http://www.demonoid.ph/files/details/2730842/01852455018/

Good luck with the boys.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

1 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I totally agree with Linda, and to give you an idea, cunliffe, why don ´t you get them reading a book you think they ´ll like (you know them better than us!) and tell them the idea is to draw one picture for every page they read and create a comic. It worked for me, boys loved - not to read - but to do it with the purpose of finding out what they could draw. It engaged them in a task they all enjoyed. We printed the comic after they finished as another version of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde, which was the book they read. It may work for you too!

1 Jun 2012     

mutienjo
Thailand

I am a big fan of outside reading book especially from Oxford Bookworms Library because its activities is quite interesting. There are before reading, while reading and after reading activities, and I think it ´s quite helpful to keep the students ´ comprehension to the story on track.

When I prepare my own lesson in each semester, I do put outside reading book in my curriculum, and it was great when seeing the result from the student. I also bring some words out for dictation, in order to focus on how to spell correctly and it worked well.

Oh, I forget to tell you that I am a teacher from Thailand, we are not native English speakers, so it ´s quite necessary for us to work way more hard than the English user one.

According to your question, there are some books from Oxford Bookworms that I think it ´s good for your students.
I ´m not sure what your student English level, so I suggest you by level and name of books (all are from Crime & Mystery category).

Starter Level:
Girl on a Motorcycle
Give Us the Money
Mystery in London
Oranges in the Snow
Police TV

Level 1:
Love or Money?
Sherlock Holmes and the Duke’s Son
Sherlock Holmes and the Sport of Kings
Sister Love and Other Crime Stories

Level 2:
Death in the Freezer (My student loves this book)
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
Sherlock Holmes Short Stories

Level 3:
As the Inspector Said and Other Stories (My students who are around 15 years old enjoy this stories very much)
Goldfish
The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

Level 4:
The Big Sleep
Death of an Englishman
The Hound of the Baskervilles
A Morbid Taste for Bones

Level 5:
The Dead of Jericho
Deadlock
King’s Ransom

Level 6:
American Crime Stories
Deadheads

You can find more information from this site http://elt.oup.com

PS. I love Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

1 Jun 2012     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello. How about comic books and graphic novels? That ´s one way I improved my English. Ed

1 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You ´ve got some great ideas, Lynne:)

I just wanted to add another series of readers that I ´ve tried with my boys when they were younger. There are also different levels and topics if you have some ideas what your ss might like or if you ask them to tell you there is a variety of topics to choose from.
Just browse through the titles to get the idea

Sophia

1 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, my wonderful friends, for taking the time to give me some great links and ideas. I will get my boys reading! I ´ve got a week ´s holiday - it ´s half term - and I will explore everything in detail. Is this a fantastic site, or is this a fantastic site?

1 Jun 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

I don ´t have the books here so I can ´t tell you the publisher but it might even be Guinness themselves..
It a series of books on world records, biggest spider, longest rabbit ears, talles man alive... all kind of weird things and the students, boys and girls alike, simply love them. Every book has numerous one- or two-page articles on a world record with photos and all, followed by some questions/activities
Here is it was marketed by WizKids, don ´t know if they are known anywhere else...
If you ´re interested I can find out more details, just pm... 

1 Jun 2012