Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A name for a game?    

A name for a game?

izulia
China

A name for a game?

Hello everybody,
Could you please help me with this. My students when they write about their day in their diaries often write "We played chasing games" or "We played chase". Although I understand what they mean, I �d like to be sure if they say the right thing. Do you call chasing game  a �tag �? If yes, how would you use it in a sentence:
We played tag.
We played a tag.
or is it still okay to say
We played chasing games.   (???)
Please help me out. My students wouldn �t stop running after each other during the breaks and then tell me all about it. :) I need to know how to talk about it in correct English!
Thank you
Zulia

4 Jun 2012      

Marjoriek
United States

"We played tag" is correct in English.

"We played a game where we chased each other." is also correct.

4 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

We played tag. (tag is uncountable in this case) We don �t say we played a football, do we? So tag is no different. Though you can say we played a game of tag, i.e only once during this very period of time you �re describing.
There is a variety of chasing games btw have a look

Sophia

4 Jun 2012     

izulia
China

Thank you very much for your help!
Have a nice day/evening :)

4 Jun 2012     

huddersboy
Japan

English kids dont say tag we say chase. As in we played chase at breaktime or if you were very lucky even kiss chase!

4 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

In Australian English we call tag  �chasey �  but according to Wikipedia it has many names.

5 Jun 2012     

evinches
France

In Scotland when I was a child we played "tig" which was "tag" south of the border. We also had another variation which was "up high tig"...the catchers weren �t allowed to tig (catch) you if you had climbed on a wall, a bench or similar perch.
The person who got caught became "it", as in "I caught you, now you �re IT!"

5 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I understand �tag � is correct, but in the North of England, it �s �chasey. �

5 Jun 2012