Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > informal lesson    

informal lesson

jarek2011
Poland

informal lesson

One more time I need to pick your brains. There is one thing that has been on my mind for a couple of days now and I really do wonder how I can translate the word into English.

Does English have a word for a lesson which is quite informal as it is often at the end of the school year. The teacher does not follow a lesson plan, a coursebook is put aside and instead the class goes out and plays a game or does something for fun

8 Jun 2012      

spinney
United Kingdom

We used to call them "free periods." They were supervised by the teacher but we bought in games and basically did our own thing. There was also another way of saying it but I can �t remember what it was. If it comes back to me, I �ll let you know.Wink

8 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

At the end of term, we normally have �an activity week � or at least a few days, when we do something completely different. In addition to this, or in schools where they haven �t got a set activity week, most teachers do slack a bit at the end of term and they show DVDs or play games. (In our school, this is discouraged and we are advised to work to timetable to the end.) There is no term that I know of for such lessons, but the students call them �chill lessons � and you will occasionally hear them plead, �Please can we have a chill lesson, Miss? � So, do other languages have a formal term for this kind of thing? 

8 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you very much for your replies !

8 Jun 2012