Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > meat on the bone    

meat on the bone

jarek2011
Poland

meat on the bone

I have stumbled across the phrase "meat on the bone"  or "put the meat on the bone". What does it mean? I �m scratchin � my head and cant figure it out!

I googled the phrase but the results were very inconclusive and rather vague. Is it a common phrase in English?

8 Jun 2012      

Zora
Canada

Put some meat on your bones means to fatten up or gain weight. It �s usually used when somebody is excessively (or thought to be) thin.

8 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

what about other contexts of use -  like providing some additional information?

8 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, to put some meat on the bare bones would mean to add detail. Another similar phrase is �to flesh it out. �  

8 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

I love you guys - when there is anything that makes me scratch my head you always come up with an answer. Thank you so much!

8 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

Lynne, is that a common expression in England? Here in the US, we use Lynne �s expression, but I don �t think I �ve heard yours. It makes sense, but isn �t used here.

Bruce

8 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hello Bruce. Flesh it out is more common - meaning to add detail, etc. Put meat on the bone, I �m not so sure. It is understandable, but not at all common in that sense. I think we are most likely to hear it in this kind of context - �she needs to put some meat on her bones �. It �s not a problem I �ve got, thank goodness.

8 Jun 2012     

foose1
United States

We also sometimes say, "I need a little more meat added to it so the mice will bite." This means upper management in a large company or sometimes customers (normally Engineers working for Boeing or Airbus).   Sometimes, amongst the Electronic Engineers, I would hear, "we need to add some more meat to the bone" referring to pilots who want more bang for their buck in their flight controls.  This was also used by British Engineers and mostly American Engineering for whom I worked with.   Sometimes, I would hear, "can you add a little more meat to it" in a general conversation concerning a presentation that was presented to our customers (Airbus/Boeing/Cessna, Learjet and more).  I never used the term because I wasn �t in the postion to use it except when dealing with foreign suppliers from alll around the world.  Unfortunately I couldn �t use it because I knew they wouldn �t understand what I was talking about.

John

8 Jun 2012     

Dameon
Thailand

Hi Guys, 

I am from Northern England and we use this saying a lot !! A good example of its use is  

John - Wow it is so cold in here !! 
Dameon - you need to add some meat on your bones !! 

in this example it is saying you need to fatten up a little. 

also we use this saying when we talk about a good looking but very skinny lady that might look better with a bit of extra weight.

Dameon - She could do with a bit more meat on the bone !!

and like Foose1 said we use this a lot when wanting someone to add more information to a presentation or report etc.

John - this is a good start for your presentation but it needs a little more meat to it !!

hope this helps :D

regards
Dameon

8 Jun 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

You could also use it as a metaphor. For instance, when you are using a course book that doesn �t have a lot of activities or exercises in it (and you go through it quickly and need to use supplementary stuff), you might say that the book hasn �t got a lot of meat on the bones.

8 Jun 2012     

miyoko71
Morocco

In Morocco we have sth similar to that and we mean by it that someone is too thin
We rather say"skin on bone"

9 Jun 2012