Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > full-time vs part-time job    

full-time vs part-time job

jarek2011
Poland

full-time vs part-time job

A full time job in Poland means that you work 40 hours per week. A part-time job carries fewer hours per week and is a total of 20 hour work week. How can I say in English that an employee has a job in which they work less than 40 hours a week but still more than 20. In Poland we use percentages but what about England? How do you describe en employment that is neither full-time nor part-time?

10 Jun 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

If it isn �t full-time (I think that �s 37 hours a week), then it �s part-time. In teaching, we use decimals, so if you work 3 days a week, you work .6 (point six) etc.  

10 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

Thank you for the reply but I am afraid I don �t quite understand it. What I do not understand is how you arrived at your calculation (3 days a week = .6). I have never been big on maths or simply I am dumb :)

10 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

We just say P/T for anything that is less than F/T.  Most people say "I work P/T for XX hours a week.

We use decimals too, but only for administration purposes.  1 FTE (full time equivalent) is 5 full days a week therefore anything less than that is expressed as a decimal e.g.  .8 is four days (4 out out of the five days available) , .6 is three days etc.  .5 is two and half days

10 Jun 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

I got it! Thank you Cunliffe and Jayho for your explanations! You made me day and since I understand it I will run a victory lap around my house :) Must be going !

10 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

LOL

10 Jun 2012     

foose1
United States

In America, anything less than 40 hours is considered part time by law.  After 40 hours, overtime is payed out to the employee.  So we say part time if we work less than 40 hours.  Exempt employees (degreed people, professionals are paid by the month or every two weeks) and are not considered under the law.

John

10 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

It always depends on the kind of job in (this part of) America . If you are a nurse e.g. you work 36 hours a week and it is still considered full time. If you are a teacher and work 36 hours a week you will not make ends meet ... that �s for sure !  Unhappy 
But there �s not such thing as PT or FT when it comes to teaching.

10 Jun 2012