Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help    

Need help

janaesl
Saudi Arabia

Need help

hi teachers
please help me to select the correct answer.

Sami ( listens to / gets  / surfs )informations about football from his mobile phone.
which one is correct and which one is close in meaning and which one is totaly wrong

thanks for your help

16 Jun 2012      

Pierreroset
France

I �d say "Sami listens to (is listening to?) information (no -s-) about football from (on?) his mobile phone" is correct. "Gets" would be quite close. "Surfs" sounds odd and wrong. I �m not sure, though.

16 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

It �s definitely "gets" (which means "obtains" or "acquires"). "Listens to" would be wrong, because the information probably comes in print, not audibly. Also, you listen to something "on" a device, not "from" a device.
You surf the web. You don �t surf information.

And Pierre is right, that "information" is uncountable, so it �s not "informations".

Bruce

16 Jun 2012     

Daisee
Vietnam

My ideas on this

Correct   -   Sami gets information about football from his mobile phone
Close in meaning   -   Sami  listens to information about football on his mobile phone (if it is a football match that is broadcast live)
Totally Wrong   -   Sami  surfs information about football from his mobile phone
But
Close in meaning   - Sami  surfs for information about football on his mobile phone

16 Jun 2012