Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > first day of the class    

first day of the class

Benitto
Netherlands

first day of the class

hi. Please help me about these questions!

1.What is the best thing one could do( or what do YOU do)  in the first day of the class to make little kids(9-11) so interested in the class and at the same time make them realize that you as the teacher are the boss!, the authority ?
2. What about adult students?
I want your sincere opinion on this matter and the reason why you say so.

Thanks dear,dear colleagues.Wink

16 Jun 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

Since I teach adults, I can �t say anything about the children. But for adults, I believe the most important thing is to remember to treat them like adults. Ask them why they want to learn English, and what they want to learn (business English, English for traveling, or English for education). Give them choices in activities. Use age-appropriate materials. Some of the worksheets and presentations here work well both for children and adults, but many materials I don �t use because they have cartoon characters. Cartoonish clipart is often okay, but Mickey Mouse or SpongeBob aren �t.

That �s what has worked well for me. Respect your students, and they will respect you.

16 Jun 2012     

N.F.T
South Africa

I teach more kids than adults, so I �ll offer what nuggets of wisdom I have.

I usually...

1)   We play WHAT �S YOUR *** NAME? (*** topic chosen by teacher)   I �m Matt - M is for monkey (I chose animals as an example, but you could use any lexical set you want) so for today you should call me Matt Monkey - and I will call you all by your animal name.

2) Kids in a circle.  Hands, palm up on your knees.  Put your left hand ON the right hand of the person on your left - put your RIGHT HAND UNDER the left hand of the person on your left.  
Go around the circle passing a hand clap across to the partner (from your left hand onto the right hand of the person next to you) and count from 1 - 10 (or 20, or 15 or whatever the teacher chooses).  Once the group has gone around the circle a few times there are a number of speed-bumps you can throw in...like replace numbers with words...1,2,banana,4,5,pineapple etc.  Introduce the challenges one at a time though, or it can be overwhelming to remember;)

3) Getting into groups activity:  MUSICAL NUMBERS.  Play an upbeat song and have the students move/dance/walk around the room.  Teacher stops the music and calls out a number.  Students then get into groups of that number.  Repeat with a few variations before settling on the number of groups you need for the activity to follow.

4) In groups, have brainstorm some ideas for GOOD BEHAVIOR/HABITS for a student in the classroom.  RULES basically, but it �s modelling the positive behavior.  You might want to introduce your own classroom reward system at this point too. 

To share my reward system:  I made "Matt Money".  I bought some cheap candy and pencils/books/small prizes. I assigned each prize a value.  Students in my class (from 5 years old and up) achieve little fake banknotes.  Money can be saved up to buy a more expensive prize - like a pretty pencil (I �m in China, stuff is cheap!) or an interesting eraser etc, or they can use it straight away for stickers/cheap candy (just 1 per note!).   And WOW can these kids save it up!  I promised them ice-cream from McD �s if they saved up 50MM!  Of course, start off the reward system making it quite easy to achieve ... but get gradually more reserved with your rewards...make it more challenging to get the rewards, but always a positive experience.

5) We round off the GOOD BEHAVIORS by doing "Classroom Instructions" activity.  
Teacher calls out a high-frequency instruction:  Stand Up, Take out your books, Put your book under your chair etc.  Every so often I �ll toss in something silly:  Put your pencil under your chair, stand on 1 leg.   

Hope that helps.  If you want more, I �ll be happy to help.  The above would take around an hour.

17 Jun 2012     

Benitto
Netherlands

Thank you both,especially you N.F.T for your complete answer.

18 Jun 2012