Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what is the word?    

what is the word?

mirela.sorina
Romania

what is the word?

Can you tell me how do you call the person in charge with doing practice with students in a vocationa school?
Not the  teacher but the one with the practical part?

20 Jun 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

trainer? -  a person who teaches people or animals to perform a particular job or skill well, or to do a particular sport

Sophia

20 Jun 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

I mean the official term in school- a person who is in charge with the practical education
he is not a real teacher , just does practice with the students
in industrial and vocational school
it should be an official term////

20 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m not sure such a role exists in English schools and we don �t have vocational schools. Every child follows the national curriculum. You have to be a qualified teacher to be in charge of a class. There are teachers who teach Food Technology, Resistant Materials, Business Studies and so on. We have teaching support assistants, who help in class and cover supervisors who stand in for absent colleagues.

20 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mirela

Our vocational students exist in both post-secondary colleges and upper secondary schools [doing the non-university entry stream which is called VET in Schools-Vocational Education and Training in Schools]

As part of an accredited vocational course each student does an unpaid practical placement (about 80 hours)where they can practice what they learned.  It gives them exposure to the skills learned, in an authentic environment, through observation and practice.

Their Work Placement Supervisor (or Placement Supervisor) usually visits them once or twice during their work placement and observes their participation, attitude etc and signs off their work placement booklet.

Usually, but not always, the Work Placement Supervisor is also their vocational teacher/lecturer and possess vocational as well as trainer/assessor qualifications for post secondary colleges and standard teacher qualifications and trainer/assessor qualifications for upper secondary school.  

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jayho

20 Jun 2012     

koala_eukaliptus
Spain

LANGUAGE ASSISTANT

20 Jun 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

I mean he does not have an university diploma, for example she is a hairstylist amd teaches students who learn this job the practical aspect of the job; she can also give marks; we have them in romania...

20 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In England, people who teach hairdressing and vocational subjects like that, would generally be based in a college. Guess what - they would have a degree or diploma and would be called a lecturer and they have the same status and pay as the lecturers of academic subjects. 

But you could call the people you describe �instructors � or �tutors �.

20 Jun 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

instructors I guess...
thank u so much cunliffe!

20 Jun 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

I would use teacher instructor

20 Jun 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I work in a community college, and my official title is "Instructor." So I agree with the others, instructor is the closest we have to what you mean. I would not use "teacher instructor" because that �s redundant. If you must qualify it, how about "practical instructor"?

20 Jun 2012     

1    2    Next >