Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for a bit of advice from you more experienced ESL teachers out there....    

Looking for a bit of advice from you more experienced ESL teachers out there....

heatherboadle
Switzerland

Looking for a bit of advice from you more experienced ESL teachers out there....

Hi everyone, I was a primary school teacher in England but am now teaching ESL in switzerland having got married to a swiss guy. It�s so different but I�m enjoying the challenge. This website has been brilliant to help me get started - so first of all thank you!

I need a bit more help because my school is interested in the Cambridge PET for our teens and they have asked me to decide which pupil books to buy. Up until now they have been using Non-Stop English. Can people recommend good course material to prepare teens well for the PET. They are easily bored and haven�t enjoyed Non-Stop English at all. Most of them have studied English throughout their primary years and so need to be stretched. What would you recommend?

I look forward to hearing from you!!

27 Sep 2008      

gloriawpai
Brazil

Hi Heather

Try Macmillan,  Ready for PET or Cambridge University Press. They have these available titles:

Cover image of Cambridge Grammar for PET

Cambridge Grammar for PET

Grammar reference and practice for the Cambridge PET exam.

Cover image of Cambridge Preliminary English Test 2

Cambridge Preliminary English Test 2

Accompanies a collection of four authentic past papers for PET, supplied by Cambridge ESOL.

Cover image of Cambridge Preliminary English Test 3

Cambridge Preliminary English Test 3

These tests allow candidates to familiarise themselves with the updated 2004 PET format and to practise exam techniques.

Cover image of Cambridge Preliminary English Test 4

Cambridge Preliminary English Test 4

Contains Cambridge PET 4 Student�s Book with answers plus two audio CDs.

Cover image of Cambridge Preliminary English Test 5

Cambridge Preliminary English Test 5

Cambridge Preliminary English Test 5 contains complete PET past papers from Cambridge ESOL.

Cover image of Cambridge Preliminary English Test Extra

Cambridge Preliminary English Test Extra

Four authentic PET papers from Cambridge ESOL with extra guidance and exam tips, plus CD-ROM.

27 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi heather,

I teach FCE english, so can not help with the book recommendation.  But I do have some strategies i find useful:
Teach the students comprehension strategies just like you would for 1st language learners.
I taught some students how to scan a document quickly and effectively - we then discussed which part of the test it would be useful to use this skill and then when it is useful in real life as well.
I also taught the students how to highlight, take notes, and other key skills they need to be successful in the reading part of the test. 

Once they had taken notes on a subject (usually one that interests them - I would get them to write an e-mail, report, article or whatever else they were currently learning about).   I have found the students really respond to lessons where they learn the exact same strategies I use to teach to 10 - 12 year olds for reading and writing.  It is very effective in helping them prepare. 

I personally find that teenagers and adults get bored very quickly with following a book - therefore I ensure every lesson has a meaningful starter activity that is related to the topic in the book.  Often I use the book as follow up homework rather than the actual teaching...

Another strategy I use is to get the students to mark other peoples articles, reports, emails etc, using the marking criteria given in the handbook.  There are many examples online of attempts that range from bad to excellent.  Give the students a range of them to mark - even get them to sort them from bad to excellent - and give reasons why.   It is a very effective strategy to teach students what is required of them.  And they really enjoy it as it is meaningful to them. 

I hope this helps - feel free to email me if you want to discuss strategies further - I do miss having a teacher to bounce ideas off.

27 Sep 2008