Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Save the Books!    

Save the Books!

Pinky Makus
Canada

Save the Books!

Can you imagine burning books because you can �t store them or find someone to take them?

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-talk/225000_books_to_go_up_in_flames_in_saskatchewan/1645c1a5

Pinky

23 Jun 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Pinky!

I sure hope someone helps and use them...

23 Jun 2012     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hard to imagine there are still places in the world where schools don �t have books and on the other side of the world this happens... Horrible! 
When I felt I could no longer store my books anywhere, I found a library that needed a donation and gave the books to them. I also gave a lot of my university books to younger students who needed them. It was nowhere close to the number of books in this article, but I bet this problem can be resolved with a little help of kind people. It �s so sad to read about it.

23 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

That�s a lot of books - she should just have a �free-for-all� - just let people take what they want - no doubt there are some rare, valuable and useful books in the collection which would be a shame to burn.  In fact, I wish I could have a rummage through them.

In reality, these days many books are disposed of regularly, especially those that are simply dated or out of date - our own libraries do it all the time - if people don�t want them they are destroyed. This is becoming increasingly common now that e-books are becoming the norm.  My institution�s library has a sizeable e-book collection and the printed collection gets thinner by the day.

Hopefully at least some of these 225,000 books will find a good home instread of a bonfire.

23 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Our library at school gives old shaggy books away for recycling and I guess they make toilet paper from them. If you are wondering it�s not white (I mean this very kind made of recycled newspapers and books) and sometimes if you look closely you can even see some letters here and there:)

Sophia

24 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

Very interesting, Sophia. I �m wondering about the brand name "Obukhiv" (using the English transliteration of the Cyrillic letters). Does it have any meaning in your language? I can easily understand "papir tualetniy".

Thanks,
Bruce

24 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Just a city in Kyiv region where the TP is manufactured:)
Sophia

24 Jun 2012