Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Give me a good advice please    

Give me a good advice please

ximealex
Ecuador

Give me a good advice please

Hi guy...I �m really sure you �re gonna give me some ideas about what to teach first...I �m working with 3 groups of adults...They are taking English for the first time in their lives :( I have to follow a guide with basic grammar and vocabulary. I was going to star the class with the TO BE verb with professions and adjectives but when in the first class I asked them to introduce themselves an 80% of the student couldn �t say a word even when I gave then the clues of pronunciation....Help me please how can I start the course!!

25 Jun 2012      

laviniajolte
Romania

you should print many flags of countries. then, make an example of yourself like this: "my name is....... i am from germany. (for example) i am german. " and they practice to be in the first person singular. after you do this you give yourself as an example again. you introduce 2nd person sg. for example: "so i am german. i am from germany. where are you form?" and you make them ask each other. but make all of them do this. after that you tell them to show their flags so the others can see them and ask them: for example "maria, where is john from? he is from england. he is english" and so on.
hope this is helpful :)

25 Jun 2012     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello!

If they are really begginers and don �t know anything in English, I think the best to start is with the basics "What �s your name?", "My name is...", "I �m... years old.", "I �m from...", "I live in...", etc.. 
I think it �s important that your students feel they are actually learning to say something. They are adults and I think they can get demotivated if they feel they aren �t being able to say a word in English. Get them to make role plays between them to practice after you introduce the basics. Games are also a good way to practice oral skills.

Good luck!

Hugs,
Patricia

25 Jun 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

I agree with Patricia. Since you are from a non-English speaking country, your students are probably all Colombian. The nationalities would be nice if they plan to travel.

Your idea of to be and occupations is still excellent. Get them to say, "I am a _____." "Pablo is a ___________." "You are a teacher."

Teach the English alphabet. The letters are mostly the same, but the names are pronounced differently. That will help them learn some of the strange English spelling and pronunciation.

And be patient. It sometimes takes adults longer to learn a new language than children. On the other hand, you don �t need to teach information, just vocabulary, pronunciation, listening, and grammar.

25 Jun 2012     

ximealex
Ecuador

Thank you so much for your ideas but I already practice personal presentation orally...We �re Ecuadorians and they �re taking english because they �re trying to get the professional driver licence... I think I �m going to star the course teaching to be and professions the only think I need is to be more confident about myself thank you

25 Jun 2012     

alien boy
Japan

What things do they need to know for the test?

I�m teaching a group of Japanese driving instructors, so I am teaching them technical & instructing language appropriate for cars & motorcycles & teaching learner & foreign drivers.

If your students need specific language skills for passing a license test you should perhaps outline these hings for yourself, think about the exact context of the language they need to use & then teach to those targets.

Cheers,
AB

25 Jun 2012