Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Rowan Atkinson: The SchoolmaSster Sketch - Script    

Rowan Atkinson: The SchoolmaSster Sketch - Script

mari_18cf
Brazil

Hey guys, I am making a lesson out of this video, Could you help me to understand what is the punch line related to the names in the first paragraph? I think that the part of the "nibbles" and "orifice" I got. Thanks

(Atkinson takes the stage alone, dressed as an old-fashioned schoolmaster) Right. Quiet. (He reads list as if taking morning register)

Ainsley. Babcock. Bland. Carthorse. Dint. Ellsworth-Beast Major. Ellsworth-Beast Minor. Fiat. German. Hemoglobin. Have-a-nut. Jones, M. Jones, N. Kossigan. Loud-Haylark. Mattock. Nancyboy-Possum. Nibble. Come on, settle down. Orifice. Plectrum. Poinse. Sediment. Soda. Te. Te? Under-manager.
Zob. Absent.

(He sighs) All right, your essays. Discuss the contention that Cleopatra had the body of a roll-top desk and the mind of a duck. Oxford and Cambridge board all over paper, 1976. Don �t fidget, Bland.

The answer: yes. Jones, M; Orifice; Sediment and Undermanager, see me afterwards. Most of you of course didn �t write nearly enough. Dint, your answer was unreadable.

Put it away, Plectrum! If I see it once more this period, Plectrum, I shall have to tweak you. Do you have a solicitor, Plectrum? You �re lying, so I shall tweak you anyway. See me afterwards to be tweaked. Yes, isn �t life tragic! Don �t sulk, boy, for God �s sake. Has matron seen those boils? Horrid little twerp.

Bland, German, Nancyboy, Potter, Undermanager: cribbing. Undermanager: answer upside down. Do you do it deliberately, Undermanager? You �re a moron. A carbuncle on the backside of humanity.

Don �t snigger, Babcock! It �s not funny. Antony and Cleopatra is not a funny play. If Shakespeare had meant it to be funny, he would have put a joke in it. There is no joke in Antony and Cleopatra, you �d know that if you �d read it, wouldn �t you, Babcock? Pest!

What play of Shakespeare �s does have a joke in it? Anyone? The Comedy of Errors, for God �s sake! The Comedy of Errors has the joke of two people looking like each other. Twice. It �s not that funny, German. And the other Shakespearean joke is? Nibble? NIBBLE! Leave Orifice alone! What a lot.

Right, for the rest of this period you will write about Eanabobbis. Undermanager, just try and write Eanabobbis. Usual conditions, no conferring, no eating, no cheating, no looking out of windows, no slang, no slide rules. Use ink only, via a nib, if possible. You may use dividers, but not on each other.

28 Jun 2012      

huddersboy
Japan

Hi there �s no punch line as such. Basically the first few names are names which sound "posh" or names from upper class families as the list continues the names just get increasingly more ridiculous and random (ie, Plectrum or sediment) - that is the joke. It works well because Rowan does it all in character as a stereotypical Teacher from an expensive boys school. Its making fun of the British tradition of upper class education
I hope this helps

28 Jun 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Agree with John.

Atkinson is making fun of the schooling of the English upper gentry by using  a variety of techniques to incite humour: posh names, nonsensical names, nouns that were never meant to be names and so on.  Using a posh voice and serious school master stance he carries it well, especially as he is well known and loved.  There is no punch line.  Anyone who loves Rowan will find every bit of this sketch hilarious.  He is indeed very talented.

29 Jun 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

I love Rowan, I thought it was funny just the way he mentioned it, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.

My favorite one is "welcome to hell". Just great. Thanks for your answers.

29 Jun 2012