Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help to spread the word    

Help to spread the word

OlgaPrih
Ukraine

Help to spread the word

Help to spread the word.

Dear friends,

My name is Olga Prihodko. I am an English teacher from Ukraine and I am proud of being a member of this wonderful community of dedicated teachers.

I am very dedicated to my work as an English teacher. But my problem is that I have to teach my students using terrible books with lots of mistakes and out-of-date information. I have always dreamed of teaching with authentic English textbooks (Oxford or Cambridge).

This year, together with my Peace Corps Volunteer Jenny Alton, I have designed a plan to improve the English department at my school. We have written a PCPP grant in order to give our students the opportunity to learn from authentic English textbooks. In addition, our school is taking steps to improve students� engagement during lessons by providing the English classroom with a computer, a projector, and possibly even a smart board.

My colleagues and I are very excited about this project � but we need your help!

Please take a moment to read through our executive summary at Peace corps.gov/donate (search for Alton) and consider sharing the project proposal with groups or individuals you feel may be interested in supporting our project.

Please feel free to talk with me about our project and thank you for helping us spread the word.

https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=343-354

With best wishes

Olga Prihodko

2 Jul 2012      

Zora
Canada

Very nice website Thumbs Up

I �d like to say though that �real � English books are not always what they are chocked up to be. In fact, I find most books, even ones by the big publishers, to be only �Ok �. They are sort of like those fancy shoes you always wanted. When you finally get them, you see they are just OK, not as comfortable or as practical as you thought they would be. Wink

I �ve found more useful worksheets here on ESLPrintables than in any book I �ve ever come across. You could quite easily put together your own workbooks using resources from ESLPrintables.

2 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You know, Linda, it �s not that simple for a public school in Ukraine. The textbooks have to be approved by the Ministry of Education and if you compile something of your own, it would probably take forever (and you �ll spend lots of money) for it to be officially approved, plus you can �t get it printed out officially (i.e. not only for your personal use in the classroom) bc the wss from here are not your own property, and who would care to approve something to be used only in one school. Although you can use other additional materials in class, the textbook (in Ukraine) is still the focal point of the lesson. When you have a demonstration lesson, one of the main skills which is assessed is your ability to use the textbook.
Our school is a language school which specializes in English (i.e. our ss have more English classes per week) and though we are a public school (i.e. financed by the government) our parents pay for the authentic books three times during the time when their child is studying when he/she enters primary, then at secondary level and finally in high school. We rotate the textbooks until they are out of shape or out of date. So that �s our experience. We also had help from a volunteer in our school and he helped create a resource center and a mini library with fictional books.
Sophia

3 Jul 2012     

OlgaPrih
Ukraine

Dear Sophia,
Thank you very much for your support and explanations. I teach at a secondary school and most of our parents can �t afford buying text-books. I only hope that this grant will be filled and at least part of our kids will be able to learn from good books.
Olga

3 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, Olga, I know, the post was meant for Linda. 
The textbooks get more and more expensive each year, plus the publishers print newer versions which don�t have the same content as  the older ones, or else they stop publishing the book all together and that�s very inconvenient when you have more ss than the year before, for example, and you can�t provide them with books bc the publisher stopped printing themConfused Now they have books with smartboard software to go with but those are overly expensive for us.
Sophia

3 Jul 2012