Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help please!    

Help please!

izulia
China

Help please!

Hello,
Today, I heard a native English speaker saying "I graduated in university several
years ago."

Does �in � sound correct after the word �graduated �? I thought it should be followed by �from �: �graduated from".

Or are both versions correct?

Thank you

3 Jul 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It is correct to use "graduate in" if it �s followed by a subject, e.g. Only half of the students graduated in History last year.
Sophia

3 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Sophia is right.

I graduated from The Ohio State University in Mathematics in 1975.
(The "from" is optional)
Bruce

3 Jul 2012     

izulia
China

Thank you! :))

3 Jul 2012     

jspe
United Kingdom

In reply to Bruce �s post: �from � is only optional in American English.  In British English, you have to say, �graduated from The Ohio State University �.

In reply to Sophia �s post: �graduated in � can only be used with academic subjects; �from � is necessary with a university/school.

Jane

3 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Jane: isn �t that what I said? I think it �s pretty obvious from the example which I provided that I meant "academic subject" not a grammatical notion.
Sophia

3 Jul 2012     

Apodo
Australia

@Bruce  Are you sure from is optional??? I don �t think so.

4 Jul 2012     

douglas
United States

Marion>>From what I understand from is optional.  AmE we use it, but BE they often don �t.

4 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

yes, Marion in NAmE "from" IS optional. See here http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/graduate_2

Sophia

4 Jul 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Wow! I �ve never heard it used that way before. Thanks for the link Sophia.

4 Jul 2012