Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please!    

Help me please!

Hanni9
Vietnam

Help me please!

I am rather confused. Please help me to solve this question
Put the verbs into the correct forms:
Be careful! you (hurt) yourself.
I think the answer is "IS GOING TO HURT"
Thanks.

4 Jul 2012      

Ticas
Portugal

Be careful! You will hurt yourself!

4 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

You could also say "You are (not is) going to hurt yourself".

Bruce

4 Jul 2012     

htunde
Hungary

Hi,

How about �might hurt yourself � ?

4 Jul 2012     

titine69
France

Hello,

you could also say �you might get hurt �.

Titine

4 Jul 2012     

Hanni9
Vietnam

I taught my students about the difference between GOING TO and WILL. The answer may be "WILL HURT" or " IS GOING TO HURT" . I am rather confused between two answers. Thanks

4 Jul 2012     

lili62
Argentina

In my opinion, if you �re teaching the difference between  GOING TO and WILL, the correct answer may be YOU �RE GOING TO HURT because going to is used to make a prediction about the future based on an evidence. If someone says to you "BE CAREFUL"  -I think- it is because they can see that something that you can �t see is going to happen. I hope it will be useful. Have a nice day!

4 Jul 2012     

Kita19
Portugal

Bruce is right. "You ARE going to hurt yourself."

In this case, I think it would be incorrect to use the future "will", because you are making a future prediction based on evidence in the present situation. And that �s one of the differences about using "will" or "going to".

4 Jul 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think there �s merit in all the options mentioned! I would say, �Be careful, you �ll hurt yourself! � or �You might get hurt. � 
Thinking about it, �You �ll get hurt! � sounds like a warning against going out with an unsuitable man. In that situation however, you may as well save your breath.

4 Jul 2012     

Hanni9
Vietnam

Thanks all for helping me!

6 Jul 2012