Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grammar Correction:    

Grammar Correction:

nabeera_nasar
Pakistan

Grammar Correction:

Dear Frinds:
Is the sentence below correct?

"Write a paragraph about an invention you use in your daily life now that you did not have has a child.

5 Jul 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

No, it should read "Write a paragraph about an invention  you use in your daily life now that you did not have as a child." Omit "has." The clause is in the simple past negative, with did not as the auxiliary verb. Even if it were the present perfect, you would say "have had," never "have has."

5 Jul 2012     

CyrillicAlphabet
Bulgaria

Hi, Naabera,

The sentence below is not correct.

Write a paragraph about an invention you use in your daily life now that you did not have has a child.

The sentence consists of two clauses - a main clause (Write a paragraph about an invention you use in your daily life now) and a subordinate clause (that you did not have has a child). In the subordinate clause you need Past Simple Tense, i.e. did not have (didn�t have) because you talk about a specific moment in the past, i.e. when you were a child.  The correct sentence should be:

Write a paragraph about an invention you use in your daily life now that you did not have as a child.

or

Write a paragraph about an invention you use in your daily life now that you did not have when you were a child.

Best wishes,
CyrillicAlphabet

5 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

It would also be a good idea to add a comma after "now".

Bruce

5 Jul 2012     

himanijain22
India

Hi

Omit "has" and put a comma after "now".

5 Jul 2012     

emece
Spain

In my opinion there is a mistake and, instead of HAS is AS

5 Jul 2012