Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Making a short movie    

Making a short movie

joy2bill
Australia

Making a short movie

Help everyone!
I �m looking for ideas for creating a short movie with my 16 adult Upper Intermediate students. I have to teach them out of school on Monday (we �re overcrowded and we �ve temporarily lost our classroom!) Fortunately we do live in a tourist town.

I was hoping to use the students � iphones, ipads, cell phones, cameras, etc.
Can anyone help me with:
Ideas for topics
Possible apps
Worksheets
Anything you can think of that could help them and/or me?

We will be finishing up in my husband �s boardroom and I need a plausible excuse for being there (other than "we have no classroom" as the students are not too keen on having to leave their room).

All in all it �s a bit of a pain so I �m hoping my ESL Printables family can put their collective thinking caps on and come to my rescue.
Thanks loads, Joy

6 Jul 2012      

grevillea
Australia

Sock Puppets on the iPad is not bad and lots of fun, since you can choose your characters, raise or lower the voice, choose the background and other objects.  Bust it �s best to upgrade to get the longer time of 90 seconds. 
You can choose more than 1 character to have a conversation.  As you click on another character the animation changes to that character.  You can also move the characters around the stage with your fingers.
You can save it to the Photos section of the iPad. It creates a .mov movie file.  If you have the DropBox app you can then transfer the files to another computer, or connect your iPad to a projector or TV for everybody to view the productions.

You could choose some conversation topic cards, like "What would you do if....", or set up a conversation where one of the pair has to convince the other to buy something.

Talking WeeMee is another animation app.

Best of luck!

6 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You could use the bbclearnenglish soap "The Flatmates" as preparatory activities http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/teachingenglish/flatmates/

Sophia

6 Jul 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Joy

In my experience using apps is problematic if it�s an app that can only be used by an iPhone.

I think using the cameras is a good idea. I once did an OHS project where the students had to photograph OHS signs around the campus then come back and explain them to another group. This can be extended by photographing signs around the town and then setting them to a video or PPT to the fantabulous 1970 �s song �Signs � by the Five Man Electrical Band which kind of discusses discrimination.

You could also do something about Mondays - there �s quite a few songs around that theme that you could set a video too using the phones.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Jul 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Here�s another idea:

Create a quiz based around grammar where they have to shoot photographic evidence for their answers then put these into a slideshow on their phone in the order of the questions

e.g.
- a photo of a collective noun (e.g. a flock of birds, a crowd of onlookers, a flock of tourists, a board of directors [to tie in with the boardroom])
- a photo depicting the future tense (e.g. this shop will re-open XXXX)
- a photo of an imperative (e.g. Stop, Give Way, No Parking anytime))
 etc

6 Jul 2012