Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > dyslexia - a new study    

dyslexia - a new study

ELOJOLIE274
France

dyslexia - a new study

A new study has shown that the more space there is between between each character the easier is it for people who suffer from dyslexia to read texts! This is actually so interesting that I �ve decided to share that useful piece of information in case you didn �t know...

have a look at this definition I found on wikipedia - the size of the letters are the same, the only different is in the space between the characters and the lines:)

Dyslexia is a very broad term defining a learning disability that impairs a person �s fluency or comprehension accuracy in being able to read, and which can manifest itself as a difficulty with phonological awareness, phonological decoding, orthographic coding, auditory short-term memory, or rapid naming. Dyslexia is distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction. It is believed that dyslexia can affect between 5 and 10 percent of a given population although there have been no studies to indicate an accurate percentage.

There are three proposed cognitive subtypes of dyslexia: auditory, visual and attentional. Reading disabilities, or dyslexia, is the most common learning disability, although in research literature it is considered to be a receptive language-based learning disability. Researchers at MIT found that people with dyslexia exhibited impaired voice-recognition abilities.

Adult dyslexics can read with good comprehension, but they tend to read more slowly than non-dyslexics and perform more poorly at spelling and nonsense word reading, a measure of phonological awareness. Dyslexia and IQ are not interrelated as a result of cognition developing independently.

I heard about that on TV but the video is in French so only a few of you might find it interesting...

http://www.france5.fr/sante/le-magazine-de-la-sante/emission/2012-07-04

have a nice week-end :)

6 Jul 2012      

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

It �s good to know! Thanks for sharing :) !!

6 Jul 2012     

papadeli
Greece

And THE WALL STREET JOURNAL...

Greetings from Greece,

6 Jul 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Thanks!
And for the link to the WSJ article, papadeli

I have a student with this very problem. It also helps to have short lines and extra space between the lines and to have no more than 3 to 4 lines in a block.

You can use a blank sheet of cardboard with a suitably sized window cut in it to place over the line/s being read to help keep your student from getting lost or distracted by the jumble of letters on the rest of the page.

6 Jul 2012     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Apodo and friends. I used to hide the word the student had to read under my thumb and I moved it over the word as a slide, to help him/her analyze it before reading it. It takes a lot of time but it �s worthwhile.
Ciao.
Mariannina

7 Jul 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Thanks Papadeli for the link :) I could have looked to see if there was an article but I didn �t...

What �s interesting is it can help them read more, and especially longer texts!

next school year i �ll try that methods with my dyslexic pupils:)

7 Jul 2012