Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pronunciation for adults    

Pronunciation for adults

izulia
China

Pronunciation for adults

Hello,

My student cannot distinguish between sounds/s/ and /ʃ/, e.g. he pronounces the word �wash � with sound /s/ at the end.

Could you help me with some ideas on how to teach the difference? I ask him to repeat different pairs with above mentioned sounds, but it doesn �t seem to work...

What else can you do? Do you know any handouts that I could use that do not look like they were designed for very young learners?

Thank you!!

10 Jul 2012      

moravc
Czech Republic

Is there any /ʃ/ sound in his mother tongue?
Young kids are usually good at imitating... Don �t give up! How about writing silly rhymes? Nonsense or funny nursery rhymes?
How about onomatopeia words?
This "sh" sound might be a sound of a steam engine / historical train, the sound of moving sand / snow, sliding sound, wind ...
The s sound might be hissing sound of a snake, whining windstorm, sound of hot water ...
Whenever the kid makes a mistake, point to a picture of... (steam engine / snake) to indicate the correct sound...

--sh words: cash, dash, dish, fish, hush, Josh, lash, mash, push, rash, rush, wash, wish
--ss words: boss, fuss, Jess, kiss, lass, mess, miss, moss, pass, piss, puss, toss

try this website:  http://www.morewords.com/

10 Jul 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

Easy words ending in s:
bus, gas, yes, boss, the Alps, arms, beds, bags, cups, cars, dogs, eggs, ...

How about 2 paper lolipops with a picture of a steam engine and a snake.
The kid raises the "lolipop" according to the sound s/he hears...

10 Jul 2012     

douglas
United States

I like the sentence: "Shhhh, the baby �s sleeping."
(with emphasis on the "shhh" of course)

11 Jul 2012     

papadeli
Greece

Greetings from Greece,

11 Jul 2012