Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question    

Question

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Question

Can I say in English"Do you have any apples at all?" It doesn �t sound good to me but I think I �ve just heard it to an English speaking girl. I am in a school near Cambridge at the moment with a group of students and I always have doubts about things that doesn �t sound good to me but I am sure people use those words or expressions.
Thanks in advance
My best wishes from rainy England

11 Jul 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

That question would normally be asked in the negative, "Don �t you have any apples at all?" It implies that you expected the other person to have apples and that you are surprised and disappointed that he or she doesn �t.

11 Jul 2012     

douglas
United States

Moody is right, but you can also ask it as the English girl did (it is usually used with a large amount of sarcasm and/or frustration/despiration) example:

G: Do you have any Granny Smith Apples?
SK: No, we are out of them.
G: Oh, do you have any green apples of any kind?
SK: No, the are all sold out.
G: Do you have any Goldeb Delicious apples?
SK: Sorry, those are sold out too.
G: Do you have red apples?
SK: No.
G: (very frustrated) Well! Do you have any apples at all?

11 Jul 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Agree with all of above.

If you have Swan �s Practical English Usage you �ll find an explanation on page 76 (section 83.2).

Cheers

Jayho

11 Jul 2012