Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > one to one lessons with a french student aged 15 (low level)    

one to one lessons with a french student aged 15 (low level)

dagn
France

one to one lessons with a french student aged 15 (low level)

Hi everyone!

Once again I ask for your advice.

I �ve just been asked to help a student with his English which is apparently poor (so says his grandmother). The boy is aged 15 and he goes to high school in Paris (he is in his first year of high school).
My problem is that I have never had any teaching experiences with this age group (I teach in junior high - coll�ge as we say in France) and I have never given one to one lessons. I do not know the boy so I really don �t know what his real level is. Could you suggest a few things (oral and written activities) for our first meeting?
Have a great day guys!

dagn

14 Jul 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about a placement test first which will give you an idea about his level.
Also you could interview him starting with simple questions gradually moving to more complicated ones which have perfect tenses or conditionals. Here �s something to give you an idea for an interview http://busyteacher.org/2629-tell-your-fellow-students-about-yourself.html

Tips on teaching teens
Sophia

14 Jul 2012     

dagn
France

thanks a million ueslteacher!

14 Jul 2012     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I always have a chat with my one to one students. As ueslteacher suggested, I have a kind of interview. If the student doesn �t speak at all, I have this chat in the mother tongue and ask about things he likes, doesn �t like etc. It is very important to find things the student is interested in to make the lesson interesting for him. Many times I have to consider that the level as so low that he must be treated as a false beginner. In this case I really start with: My name is, and so on.

In my lessons, I have a text we read aloud, questions about the text or the subject, and the grammar exercises we answer orally. As homework, the students write the exercises. If he doesn�t do the homework, and many private students don �t, they have to write in class.

14 Jul 2012     

Mr Jazz
France

Hey colleague! Everything written above is sensible and correct! As a high school teacher myself, I can only add that what �s missing in our �secondes � in France is a solid knowledge of tenses, especially the difference between preterit simple and continuous-which they always tend to  assimilate to �imparfait �-, present simple and continuous, and present perfect, which they systematically think is �pass� compos� �... Other than that, you may find some help surfing such sites as �elllo � -yes, three �l �- or �yvan baptiste gateway to the english world �. Enjoy!

14 Jul 2012