Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Quantifiers    

Quantifiers

izulia
China

Quantifiers

Hello,

I am supposed to teach adults at upper intermediate level about the quantifiers in relation to food.

This is what my sts will practice:
I don �t eat/drink...
I drink/eat...
I don �t like...
I �m allergic to ...

a lot of, lots of, a great deal of, much, too much/too many chocolate/tea/cadies, etc.

a little, some (kinds of), a few, quite a few, any (kind of), enough vegetables/ pasta/ etc.

How to make this lesson really interesting for upper-intermidiate level adults?
Your help with ideas will be so much appreciated!!!

Thank you!!

15 Jul 2012      

anitarobi
Croatia

Frankly, if they �re upper-intermediate level, they should know this stuff well by now, so perhaps giving them examples with mistakes in them would be fun and useful just to clear things up and make sure they know the matter. Make them �teachers �, give them some examples with mistakes in them and have them fix it. You can practise listening and reading this way. Then you can have a speaking role play activity in which sb is a customer and sb is a waiter and the customer has to complain using these phrases - e.f too much salt, not enough pasta or sauce, etc. As for a writing activity, you can have them write a letter of complaint to the manager of a hotel or restaurant, complaining about the food and the accomodation, using said phrases - very little soap in the bathroom, not enough towels, too much noise, etc. I hope this helps!

15 Jul 2012     

izulia
China

Great ideas, thank you, Anita!!!
Thumbs Up

15 Jul 2012     

goospanish
Mexico

I like Anita �s ideas  too!

15 Jul 2012     

goospanish
Mexico

idea...  Have them talk to a waiter and ask questions about food  and then state what they want.   I want no salt added to the soup and small amount of salad dressing  and  I drink a lot
of water and I like my water with ice.  Stuff like that.   Maybe give them a food  say bread and them say Quantifiers for it.    I like my bread warm with lots of butter.  I really like bread a lot of bread and can you toast it.    good luck

15 Jul 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

I like Anita �s idea - how about writing a report / blog / letter "My Worst Holiday"
Give students some nouns to talk about -

abstract nouns -  noise, music, smell,
information, advice, work, patience, pressure, rain, ..., money,
uncountable nouns - furniture, luggage, baggage, hair, light, space/room, time, fresh air, dust, garbage,  medicine, machinery, sand, traffic, toothpaste, soap, hot water,

uncountable food - rice, pasta,  sauce, butter, sugar, butter, water, ice, lemonade, wine, whiskey, coffee, milk, tea, bread, cake, wholegrain bread, jam, honey, marmelade, salad, lettuce, cereal, yoghurt, porridge, soup, cheese, chewing gum, meat, chicken, beef, pepper, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper,

countable food
- rolls, donuts, buns, cookies, toasts, sandwiches, bananas, apples, oranges, strawberries, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes of wine, eggs, chocolate bars,
other countable nouns - towels, curtains, bedsheets, plates, forks, knives, spoons, glasses, mugs, tables, chairs, cars, dancers, singers, musicians, disco, funfair, cinema, pubs, restaurants, a bath / shower, a beach, sharp stones, kids, buildings, windows, birds, snakes, mice, bugs, cockroaches, flies, mosquitoes, jellyfish, drunken sailors, noisy kids... ...

a lot of, , lots of, a great deal of, much, too much, too many,  too + adj., 
not enough, no, a little, some (kinds of), a few, quite a few, any (kind of), (not) enough, no

Divide them into groups - angry vegetarians, tired mothers, newlyweds on honeymoon, old pensioners, bored teens - each group should come up with some original complaints

Make a list of complaints and write the report / blog / complaint letter in groups. The writing might be furious, angry, sarcastic, funny, full of jokes and witty remarks...

15 Jul 2012     

izulia
China

Thank you to all of you for your great advice! :))

15 Jul 2012