Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP ME!!!!!    

HELP ME!!!!!

araveg
Spain

HELP ME!!!!!

Hi everybody!

I �m writing a new story for my students, and I wonder which  structure is correct

"Once upon a time a forest. There were a lot of trees in the forest."

Or

"Once upon a time there was a forest. There were a lot of trees in the forest"

Thanks in advance

16 Jul 2012      

Tali G
Israel

The second one.
Another option is "Once upon a time there was a forest with a lot of trees in it."

16 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Tali G is right. It can �t be the first one because the first sentence doesn �t have a verb in it.

Bruce

16 Jul 2012     

araveg
Spain

thank you very much.

16 Jul 2012     

majocasciaro
Argentina

Hello! I think none of them are correct. I �d follow Tali G �s piece of advice as both your options are repetitive.

16 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree that Tali G �s suggestion is better, but your second option is not wrong.

Bruce

16 Jul 2012     

faby.ong
Brazil

The second one is the correct

16 Jul 2012     

majocasciaro
Argentina

Both of them are grammatically correct, even though the first sentence of the first option doesn �t have a verb (which can be solved by the use of a comma). The problem in both options is Repetition.

16 Jul 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Sorry, majocasciaro, the first option is wrong. You absolutely need the "there was" in sentence one. "Once upon a time a forest" just sounds completely wrong. There are times in casual speech that fragments are okay, but this isn �t one of them. I agree with the other posters that Tali G �s suggestion is the best because there is less redundancy, but the second is still okay.

16 Jul 2012     

araveg
Spain

Thank you very much everybody
I have always used the second one, but some days ago I read a tale which started:  Once upon a time a princess........... So, I hesitated.

Thanks again

Have a nice day

17 Jul 2012